Which plate chiller is best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LagerLover24

Reaction score
I'm building a new all grain system, and have decided I want a plate chiller. The Blichman therminater looks awesome, but it's 200 bucks :(. Has anyone had experience with the cheaper ones? It's hard to justify that much money if the cheaper ones do the same thing.

Well the Blichmann is the best, as the cheaper alternatives are either smaller or use a lower grade of steel.

I think it's probably a case of "you get what you pay for" to a certain extent.

That being said, I'm not convinced that Blichmann's Therminator isn't overpriced. I have a Duda Diesel 20 plate chiller (http://www.dudadiesel.com/heat_exchangers.php), and I only paid 60 bucks for it.

Relative to my old immersion chiller, it's completely insane. I can basically cool my wort very close to the cooling water temp a little slower than I can gravity feed it through the chiller. So for my last brew (a lager), I got the full 5 gallons down to the low 60's (where my water was) in about 10 minutes.

I think more plates would allow for faster cooling, but I'm not convinced it's worth the money. They have a 30 plate beer chiller that purports to chill a 5 gallon batch in 2.6 minutes, but as it is, I can't feed it that fast.

I bought a 40 plate from Keg Cowboy for 85 bucks. Good luck damaging that thing. I don't know how a different one would work any better.

Back