oatmeal stout stuck at 1.04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessemanring

Reaction score
So I began fermentation on my oatmeal stout 6 days ago. The problem is that it was fermenting really well for 2 days then it stopped. The gravity is at 1.04. It is at 71 degrees, I tried agitating it, I added yeast, still nothing, then I started a mini batch of malt extract with champagne yeast with nutrients and dumped it in. Still no movement. When I tested the gravity I tasted it and it dosen't taste bad could it be done or just stuck to the max.

Two suggestions - are you sure you're reading your hydrometer correctly? Or was it being buoyed in the tube by CO2 bubbles that needed to be dispersed?

If you did all grain or partial mash, did you get the right mash temp, or are you sure your thermometer is accurate? An unusually high mash temp would lead to more unfermentables in the wort.

There was nothing blocking the hydrometer and I used a brewers best kit. If anything the wort was made at a lesser than hotter temp. I would say about 140 degrees.

Is the gravity 1.004 or 1.040? If you are reading 1.004 the fermentation is probably done. What was the OG before you threw in the yeast?

A little more info may help troubleshooting (if any is needed).

Recipe, procedure, yeast, OG, will help.

Was it at 1.04 after two days, or after 6?

Lots of folks will gladly help, but just need a little more information.

Cheers,
Pikledbill

Ingredients are:
3.3 lb. special dark LME
3 lb. extra dark DME
1 lb. maltodextrine
GRAINS
1 lb. Oats
6 oz Dark Chocolate
12 oz. 2-row Pale
2oz. Carmel 120L
4 oz. Victory
HOPS
1 oz. Bittering
1Oz. Flavoring
Yeast
1 Windsor

It was 1.04 after 4 days
I never took an OG

Google around. I'll bet Windsor is your problem. I made a dark ale for Christmas with Windsor that stopped at 1030. I repitched with Nottingham but nothing happened. So I waited a few more days, then bottled it. The resulting brew is fine, after a few weeks of conditioning. Before it conditioned, it was cloyingly sweet up front, so much that I almost dumped it. But a few weeks in the bottle are improving it immensely.

Apparently Windsor is well-known for quitting early. That's probably why the spec sheet says it's "moderately attenuative".

I couldn't get my brew to go below 1030, but it still seems to have turned out OK. On the other hand, 1040 does seem high.

But I'm guessing it's the Windsor.

Was this a partial mash? Or let me put it this way, the recipe is a partial mash, is that what you did and at what temp did you mash at? I don't understand when you say you made the wort at 140, you didn't boil it or this was the mash or steep temp?

Stuck fermentations are almost never because you need more yeast. In the future, I would not throw more and different kinds of yeast in. It is possible you had a pretty high OG and you didn't aerate enough. It is also possible all those oats added a lot of unfermentable sugar and protein that is throwing off the hydrometer. Let it sit for 10 days and bottle it. But check to make sure the SG is not dropping because of the champagne yeast.

One other thing, what temp. is it at? If it is in a cold room (below 65), that could be your problem. Try it at 70-75 and see if the yeast start up.

Yea that was the mash temp at about 140-145. I am keeping it at 69-70 degrees. I will give it until next friday then I will bottle it. All of you are amazing by the way for your help. It is really difficult not having others that brew and to have help is a BIG relief! Thanx!

Ingredients are:
3.3 lb. special dark LME
3 lb. extra dark DME
1 lb. maltodextrine
GRAINS
1 lb. Oats
6 oz Dark Chocolate
12 oz. 2-row Pale
2oz. Carmel 120L
4 oz. Victory
HOPS
1 oz. Bittering
1Oz. Flavoring
Yeast
1 Windsor

It was 1.04 after 4 days
I never took an OG

JM,

A lot of good advice for you in here. Can you provide a few more bits of information?

How did you pitch...did you use a starter?

Was this a partial mash, or did you steep the grains? Additional info regarding the partial mash/steep will help...specifically, amount/volume of water, temperature (140), time. Also, how long did it take to cool the wort?

Some terms for you to look up when you have the time (just google them): yeast attenuation, alpha and beta amylase, mash temperature, diastatic power of barley malt.

It is valuable to take an OG reading...it can help you troubleshoot any problems you may have later in the fermenting process.

Merry X-mas

Cheers,
Pikledbill

Well after some time I decided to take another gravity reading and it slipped under 1.04 to 1.036 and that was it. I then bottled it and waited. The affect was less alcohol but that has made a different beer. It has large hints of chocolate and is very easy to drink. I would have done things different but hey, live and learn. Thanks for all of the help.

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that it turned out good. If you can, wait another month and sample that again. I'll bet that it will be like a totally different beer then.

Back