How much did your wort chiller cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teromous

Beer Gnome
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just going to put this out there. I went and bought enough parts to make a wort chiller from Lowes. 20' of 1/2" ID copper and 2x10' of vinyl tubing, 2 hose clamps, and a female adapter for my faucet outside. I had a discount and it cost me $73.34. I had a $50 gift card so it really only cost me $23.34 but still I was surprised. How much did you guys pay?

50' 1/2" tube was 47.09 delivered : 73.25, 2.50$ in fittings ?$ in the hose ends. 6000$ lathe & tooling to turn the hose ends to fit the tube, 800$ for a phase converter to run the lathe......... your mileage may vary.

:p

I used 3/8 tubing and bought eerything I needed for my counterflow chiller and my total came to 58 bux

Since then I've ditched the counterflow (wasting to much water) and put together a Immerson chiller
..25' 3/8 copper,
pond pump (40 bux)
cooler (25 bux cheapo)
and tubing (? under 10)
Im soooo much happier with my Immersion over the counterflow....although the counterflow was a little faster, the Immersion lets me leave the coldbreak and the hops trub behind in the Kettle
90 bux total for the Immerson...I try and make everthing and am on a budget but I think that im brewing better beer with the chiller that I've got now

got 50' of copper tubing from a buddy for free, paid less than ten for clamps tubing and hose fitting

about 35 bucks DIY style.
IMG_04091.JPG

Wow. I knew I got a great deal.

$77--- Stainless 50' chiller with 3/8" tube.

NYbrewsupply.com . They are also on ebay. Fast turnaround and good communication.

$14 at Home Depot

10' stick 1/2 inch ID copper pipe ($9)
10 pack 90* copper couplers ($4)

I still need to get some 5/8 tubing, but that's pretty cheap. I cut it up into 1 foot pieces, and have them all coupled together, and tape to 'seal' them so I can break it back down for easy cleaning. Zipties will keep the plastic tubing flush. I haven't used it yet, Saturday is brew day. I'll have pics then.

Yeah yeah yeah... it's only 10', so maybe it takes 20 minutes to cool it instead of 10 minutes.

Also, it's the kind where you run the wort through the chiller, not an immersion chiller.

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

$14 at Home Depot

10' stick 1/2 inch ID copper pipe ($9)
10 pack 90* copper couplers ($4)

I still need to get some 5/8 tubing, but that's pretty cheap. I cut it up into 1 foot pieces, and have them all coupled together, and tape to 'seal' them so I can break it back down for easy cleaning. Zipties will keep the plastic tubing flush. I haven't used it yet, Saturday is brew day. I'll have pics then.

Yeah yeah yeah... it's only 10', so maybe it takes 20 minutes to cool it instead of 10 minutes.

Also, it's the kind where you run the wort through the chiller, not an immersion chiller.

$7.90 and I'm done.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Total around... $22?

By the way... I got lower prices at my local home depot than what's on the website, I'm not "rounding down" to look better.

Sorry for the terrible picture. 50ft 1/2 O.D. copper tubing. Built this for about $70 total. $55 in tubing and about $15 in elbows and hose fittings

W3rt_chiller.jpg

Oh and regardless of how much it costs, it's way more fun to build it yourself.

edit: I'm going to mention this since it was kinda confusing when buying fittings. The soft copper coil is different than rigid copper tubing. 1/2" copper coil is 1/2 OD which needs 3/8" in fittings. The rigid copper pipe that is 1/2 is 1/2" ID and uses 1/2" ID fittings. The dimension of the fittings is labeled to match the ID of the tube.

IIRC, my counterflow chiller cost:
$10 - 20' 3/8" copper refrigerant line
$14 - 20' 1/2" ID nylon reinforced braided vinyl tubing
$5 - (2 each) 1/2"x3/8" copper reducers & 1/2" tees
$9 - Brass Male & Female hose adapters
hose clamps and extra tubing I already had, maybe $5 worth

Roughly $43 total

110.00 delivered off of ebay....40 plate chiller that is the same dimensions of a therminator.

I LOVE IT!

I'm just going to put this out there. I went and bought enough parts to make a wort chiller from Lowes. 20' of 1/2" ID copper and 2x10' of vinyl tubing, 2 hose clamps, and a female adapter for my faucet outside. I had a discount and it cost me $73.34. I had a $50 gift card so it really only cost me $23.34 but still I was surprised. How much did you guys pay?

You came out like a bandit for today's prices for a 1/2" IC. I built my old IC for about $35 for 50 ft 1/2 " and fittings. That tells you how old it is. I thought i'd upgrade to one of those fancy plate types for $195. What a joke. I still use the old IC most of the time.

I should! My wife is out of town and she took the working camera while my camera is broken. I tried to use my mac web cam and it does not work well.

"Web Cam" and "Wife out of town" are a bad combination. You need to be careful.

50' of 1/2" copper - given to me - $0 :p
cheapest 1/2" ID garden hose from Ace $7.99
4 cheap hose clamps 0.10ea so $0.40

so <$10

IMG_3237.JPG

30 plate chiller - $75
20 plate after-chiller - $50
pond pump - $15
cooler - free

$140 in equipment to chill 10 gallons of wort to ~70F in 10 minutes. Texas tap water is hot...

I built a CFC, using new gear from lowes or home depot. I had some gift certs, so it wasn't out of my pocket. But it came close to 100. I ended up buying the hi temp rated garden hose, that was pricy, that and the copper. Also I used jayco's method, so a few extra in fittings.. I used fittings slightly bigger then I needed to, so a few extra dollars there as well. It looks nice though. I'm happy with it.

~$140 to build two CFC with hi temp Goodyear hose. Put them in HD buckets with compression barbs for the in and out.

built a 20' counterflow chiller for less than $60. I think it was closer to $50 for everything from home depot

Bought a used CFC from HBT's own Dude for $20.

Replaced a dual-coil immersion chiller that probably cost... cripes, probably somewhere between $50 and $80, between the cost of the tubing and all of the fittings that I had to get from McMaster.

60' 1/2" copper $27 Home Depot mgr wanted it off the shelf for new stock.
Couple of bucks for assorted fittings.
Screaming at wife to hold the coil still while I wrapped it around the keg (priceless)

Back