Possible fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmetal

Reaction score
I've been using a swamp cooler and I recently got ahold of an unused desk
photoo.JPG

as you can see, it fits 2 carboys under it. I was thinking of lining it with that insulation material from the son of a fermentation deal and basically wiring it the same way. I have an old ac thermostat that I can try to use, can anyone help a little bit with that?

I can post the pictures of the actual thermostat on monday (im outta town) it's one of those not programmable, it's digital just set the temp and forget it types. it handles both hot and cold, and it handles I think 3 4 or 5 wires. I'll try to upload a pic monday so I can get some help wiring it.

also, where do I buy that son of a fermentation foam stuff?

quick question, can I like reroute the thermostat's actual thermometer and mount it in a cup of water or on some gel taped to one of the carboys or something?

as for the waterbottles on the side, there will be a wall like the soafc with frozen bottles on the other side, except there will be a fan on top and one on bottom. the one on top will pull air from carboy to bottle and the one on bottom will pull cold air from bottle to carboy.

I plan to cover this with a nice wooden double door and mount the thermostat on the outside of the door. here's to trouble!

I've been using a swamp cooler and I recently got ahold of an unused desk

I've been wanting to do something similar but I don't have the room and haven't stumbled upon anything free.

I have an old ac thermostat that I can try to use, can anyone help a little bit with that?
Yes, post pics when you get home. I've seen a few good tutorials how to do it, and generalize the instructions to apply to most models.

also, where do I buy that son of a fermentation foam stuff?

Home improvement stores (Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc). They may not carry 2" foam board since you are far south.

quick question, can I like reroute the thermostat's actual thermometer and mount it in a cup of water or on some gel taped to one of the carboys or something?

Yes, you can do this. You'll need to if you want the thermostat on the outside. Do you know how to solder?

as for the waterbottles on the side, there will be a wall like the soafc with frozen bottles on the other side, except there will be a fan on top and one on bottom. the one on top will pull air from carboy to bottle and the one on bottom will pull cold air from bottle to carboy.

Two fans aren't necessary. Keep both openings on top. If you have one on the bottom, cold air will leak to your chamber and you lose temperature control.

Great! Iill post the picture as soon as possible. As for the wholes, that's a great idea.

Yeah I can solder so it'll be fine

thanks!

Home improvement stores (Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc). They may not carry 2" foam board since you are far south.

They have it in GA... Not sure about FL, but I would venture a guess they carry it down there...

Used a bunch in my ferm chamber...

Good luck and keep us updated... I love the "crazier" ideas...

:mug:

well, I got a different desk now that I think would work even better! it'll fit maybe just one, but I think it is a better project. Ill post pictures tomorrow.

Back