Steam from brew affecting hood vent filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
We have been brewing on our stove in the kitchen which has a microwave directly above the stove. The mw has one of those built in vents underneath it that is supposed to suck steam/vapors from whatever is boiling on the stove (even though it doesnt work that well anyways). But, what we have noticed after brewing is that the steam from the brew seems to disintegrate the carbon in those filters up in the vent. The stove top fills up with little carbon particles (Im guessing thats whats happening). I thought the filters were maybe getting old, so I bought brand new ones and replaced them to find out it also happens with brand new filters. Has anyone else run into this?

*remove* the filters while brewing your beer!

the filer must be designed to trap grease and smoke from regular cooking, not the large volume of stream generated from boiling a wort....

Is this one of those recirculating fan systems where there is no actual exit to the outside? - or am I getting the wrong impression. Most externally vented systems dont have a carbon filter. I'm concerned that if you are not venting your steam outdoors then your kitchen (house) is being saturated with humidity everytime you boil.

Back