Think I got my first infection :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Reaction score
so this beer was basically finished, was just letting it sit for a bit because no room in the fridge to crash. been a week at the FG 1.05 went to take a final reading before going to the fridge...and ugh h I think its got a bug...

33abh21.jpg

yea. i've seen this 3 or 4 times (small clear bubbles after krausen has dropped). it has always resulted in an undrinkable infection when i've seen it.

i'm sure someone knows what kind it is

ugh....guess its byob for the football party on sept 1

still tastes fine actually this batch wasn't turning out great from the start, it actually tasted better than it did last week, but this infection looks real young

Nope, just bubbles from residual CO2 off gassing and small clumps of yeast. I see no indication of an infection that pic. You're good. Also, I'm sure you meant 1.005, but I just wanted make sure 1.05 wasn't your FG. If it is, you had a really unfermentable wort or it's not finished. Cheers! :mug:

lol yeah 1.005 it is a light beer started at 1.042 FGed out at 1.01 then added some ensyme that helps dry the beer and it went to 1.005

what worries me is the bubbles have a dried yellow cracked look on the surface not normal bubbles

i disagree that it's CO2, but it's just a picture after all. when i've seen this, it looks very similar. then the bubbles turn off-white/yellow. eventually they turn fluffy

I am undecided on whether that looks like an infection, but you should still rack it to something else and see if it's drinkable.

what worries me is the bubbles have a dried yellow cracked look on the surface not normal bubbles

I don't see what you're talking about, but the picture quality isn't all that great, so that might be it. I've never seen bubbles like that that turned out to be an infection. IMHO, I think you're safe. If you're scared, you could rack from under the infection and bottle. If it's an aerobic infection, bottling would stop it right in its tracks.

What kind of beer is it? A few beers I've brewed, mostly the ones with zest or some spices, have had a film on top that trapped CO2. I always thought it was oils/residuals that trapped the bubbles. All of them have turned out fine! :)

I don't see what you're talking about, but the picture quality isn't all that great, so that might be it. I've never seen bubbles like that that turned out to be an infection. IMHO, I think you're safe. If you're scared, you could rack from under the infection and bottle. If it's an aerobic infection, bottling would stop it right in its tracks.

Well, some of the bubbles along the top of the photo look as though they have some opacity to them.

But i agree. Aerobic bacteria die a horrible death in bottles and kegs. They need oxygen to survive.

Just tell everyone it's a farmhouse ale.

Also, this could be an indication that you aren't getting a good enough seal from your bucket lid.

4 days know bottles and the couple clear ones look perfectly fine and carbing nicely from the looks of things. May crack knew tonight to see what I got

use your taste buds to decide in these instances. Most of my beers have some sort of film, bubbles, etc. on them. Sure, they may be the beginning of a mild infection...but they taste perfect and we know nothing can live in there that can hurt you.

Looks like beer to me! I get bubbles like this after fermentation once in a while and it's fine. No worries, especially if it tastes alright. And if it doesn't taste alright, just leave it in bottles for another month and try it again.

yea. i've seen this 3 or 4 times (small clear bubbles after krausen has dropped). it has always resulted in an undrinkable infection when i've seen it.

I suspect you may be unnecessarily dumping beer, there is nothing strange looking about this at all.

Beer isn't infected I berleave after tasting the first last night.....but it's prolly my worst brew ever.....it's a light beer so there isn't a ton of flavor to cover up a pretty strong astringent flavor.... Prolly my **** up was josoling the bucket tl keep the yeast active all it would dry it out more, not I read that can cause astringency when it's still on the hot/cold break

Beer isn't infected I berleave after tasting the first last night.....but it's prolly my worst brew ever.....it's a light beer so there isn't a ton of flavor to cover up a pretty strong astringent flavor.... Prolly my **** up was josoling the bucket tl keep the yeast active all it would dry it out more, not I read that can cause astringency when it's still on the hot/cold break

I doubt swirling the fermenter caused astringency. If your mash was heated too hot when the PH was too alkaline, that would cause it though. Or perhaps you got husks into the brew kettle and they were boiled, still the PH should have prevented astringency.

What's the ABV? What was the recipe?

Latest posts

Back