A couple weeks into a 3 gallon batch of Ed Worts Apfelwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean5446

Reaction score
Well, I started my first batch of Apfelwein on January 3rd and its been bubbling right along since then. Just starting to slow down. I had to put a heating pad on low round the back of my carboy because we are trying to keep our heating bill down. :)

Any way I have a small half gallon glass milk bottle that a stopper and airlock fit just right on so I put about 40oz of cider in there with some corn sugar and then rinsed the liquid yeast packet out with cider and dumped it in. Well it also started ferementing right away on the 3rd and slowed almost to a stop the other day. I racked it to a mason jar and cooled it in the freezer for a while. I took a sip and it was delicious! I hope the other 3 gallons are just as good or better.

So there was a layer of cidery yeasty sediment on the bottom so I put the airlock back on for a couple days. I grabbed a half gallon of cider last night at the store and threw it in with about a cup of table sugar and abotu 4tbls of molasses and shook it up. I wasn't sure if it'd take of but within a couple hours it was bubbling away! I can't wait to try. Maybe it'll be good. I really have no idea. :)

bean

what did you do to scale down your batch, i am looking to do the same or similar size but not sure if you can just cut everything in half or if there are any other considerations to take into account. Also how much head space do you have to allow for cider meaning can I use my 3 gallon carboy and fill it pretty close to the top. Just wondering.

Well, I didn't necessarily do anything special to scale it down. I just sort of threw it together. I have a 3 gallon carboy, too, and I just filled it almost to the top. I read on here there wouldn't be much krausen if any and there's not. I used almost 1 pound of corn sugar, reserving a bit for carbing.

Back