What specialty grains would you use for regional IIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batches_brew

Reaction score
I want to brew an American IIPA meaning all American ingredients. I'm going for real high IBU 80+ and I want a decent malty backbone.

Partial mash, I'm using US 2-row. I was going to use some caramel 20L and 60L that I nicked from an IPA recipe, but now I've learned that real hoppy American ales aren't good with too much caramel. I am adding sugar to dry it out.

Any suggestions?

I want to brew an American IIPA meaning all American ingredients. I'm going for real high IBU 80+ and I want a decent malty backbone.

Partial mash, I'm using US 2-row. I was going to use some caramel 20L and 60L that I nicked from an IPA recipe, but now I've learned that real hoppy American ales aren't good with too much caramel. I am adding sugar to dry it out.

Any suggestions?

Be sure to forward the memo to Rogue and Sierra Nevada.

Many IPA recipes including American ones have caramel malt. Take a look in the recipe database and you'll see that caramel malt is a fairly common ingredient, so yes I think you got some bad info somewhere.

As a percentage that isn't really bad advice, but probably based more on personal preference. If you only used one other malt like 2-row that would equate to about .5# which isn't a bad amount. Personally I like my IPA's a bit darker and sweeter and use about a pound for a typical batch. I can tell you from my experience that many west coast IPA's I've had are this way and are damned good.

Cool, thanks. how about this?

OG 1.078
4 lbs 2-row
.5 lbs caramel 10L
.5 lbs caramel 60L
1.5 lbs sugar
6 lbs extract

that's about 8% caramel. should I ease it back a little?

Thanks a lot.

How does this look?

Partial Mash OG 1.080 IBU 104

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 5.00 lb
US Caramel 10L Malt 0.50 lb
US Caramel 60L Malt 0.25 lb
German CaraAmber 0.25 lb
Extract - Light Liquid Malt Extract 6.00 lb
Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose 1.00 lb

Hops
US Galena 12.0 % 2.15 oz Bagged Pellet Hops All Of Boil