the exact amount of priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I've practice bottle conditioning in all batches.
Due to experience, I found out that in order to get a beer to what I see as "moderate" carbonation (the average in commercial beers) I use a much higher amount of corn sugar then what I see in calculators on the web.
for example, I made a Tripel. when using a calculator like The Beer Recipator it would show that the high end for this style would be 2.4 volumes, thus using 4.13oz (117g) of corn sugar per 5 gallon for priming. I used over double this amount - 8.83 oz. (250g) that should equal 4.15 volumes. However, the beer is carbonated to a level that I see as very similar to commercial examples of the style - maybe a little higher. I had the same experience with other batches of other styles.
Does anybody else experience this?

I'll assume (since you see these results on multiple batches) that it's not an issue with your yeast, or the length of conditioning time.

What's your serving temp, and how long do you have it at that temp prior to opening the bottle?

I have noticed this as well. I just bottled a pale ale last night. It called for 6oz apx for this style, that being the high end limit. I had previously stayed right in the middle of the volumes range and tend to be generally dissapointed with the amount of carbonation.
I have a belgian tripel in planning and its my next brew but I want to solve this problem before I make it. I tripel with bad carbonation is not a tripel at all in my eyes. I was looking to have the carbonation of Chimay. It seems to be different then much other carbonation and I dont know how they do it. Anyone know?

i've heard that some belgian breweries actually force carb their beer in addition to adding some yeast for conditioning and extra carbonation, so that might be some of it. they come in those thick bottles for a reason.

i've also noticed that using the recommended amount of corn sugar gets me on the low side of my preferred level, so i use a little more. about 1 cup per batch usually. no bottle bombs or gushers yet.

Bike N Brew said:
What's your serving temp, and how long do you have it at that temp prior to opening the bottle?

I never thought of that...
I usually let the bottles sit in the fridge for a couple of days, and then give them 15 minutes at room temp, to rise to around the temp I want. Generally, I drink beer warmer then what is recommended for the style, so my problem is even enhanced by this - since the carbonation should be more apparent at higher temps

Back