Good commercial oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on the legends that is my local brewery there oct had a bit of a dry finish for my taste but the beer was very good.

Berkshire Brewing makes an exceptional Octoberfest.

It's not coming out this year. They canned steel rail instead. They were originally gonna do that in the spring and skip the hefeweizen this year but something happened with licsenses and they had to skip okoberfest instead

theother1 said:
It's not coming out this year. They canned steel rail instead. They were originally gonna do that in the spring and skip the hefeweizen this year but something happened with licsenses and they had to skip okoberfest instead

This is sad news indeed.

Just drank an Erdinger "Oktoberfest" beer. It's a good hefeweizen but not a typical Oktoberfest style brew. Erdinger makes an awesome Dunkel Weizen, btw. Also had a half decent local brew by Choc it was there seasonal Oktoberfest brew.

View attachment 145323

Spotted the Choc Saturday,they had that and Marshalls Oktoberfest. I plan on trying both but they only had one 6 pack of Spaten and could not take the chance they would not be able to get more so I grabbed it. Spaten has been my favorite Oktoberfest for years.

Picked up an Ayinger Oktoberfest "Authentic Bavarian Festival Lager". I usually avoid the foreign beers, even if I really want to try them, because the local beer store has a low rate of turnover for these kinds of beers, and I don't want to get an old beer and be disappointed. Well, since this is this year's Oktoberfest beer, I knew it would at least be fresh.

WOW! I've had a few domestic craft "Oktoberfest" beers, but this one was awesome! Malty, yet crisp and clean at the same time. The pint went too quickly!

So I haven't tried it yet but I picked up Pyramid Oktoberfest.
I find that pyramid doesn't make beers that stand out, but sometimes that's what I want, a good solid session ale. A beer doesn't need 45 hops, 21 different malts or sea kelp and hot chili peppers to be good so we shall see.

ForumRunner_20130930_141357.jpg

Picked up an Ayinger Oktoberfest "Authentic Bavarian Festival Lager". I usually avoid the foreign beers, even if I really want to try them, because the local beer store has a low rate of turnover for these kinds of beers, and I don't want to get an old beer and be disappointed. Well, since this is this year's Oktoberfest beer, I knew it would at least be fresh.

WOW! I've had a few domestic craft "Oktoberfest" beers, but this one was awesome! Malty, yet crisp and clean at the same time. The pint went too quickly!

Totally agree, this is the real deal! Reminds me to pick up some more.

Anyone who lives in the portland, or/ vancouver, wa area check out Gustavs. They have Paulaner and Spaten okto on tap and a ton of other good german beers. Myself, im not a hop head and all the beers they have on this tap list make me squeal like a teenage girl at a Beiber concert.

http://gustavs.net/our-beers

Spaten has always been the yardstick for me as what an Octoberfest is all about. I realize it is only one part of the spectrum but it is why I just am so constantly disappointed by Sam Adams (I buy it EVERY year hoping I will like it). It probably is somewhere in the range but it always tastes like...nothing...a complete void of flavor...at least by comparison.

I am sure I am being to harsh but it is because I love the style and the style is defined by the beers I have made and Spaten O-fest. When I type it, this makes me feel very narrow minded.

It's not exactly commercial, but I just had to mention this new Oktoberfest I just tried!

The Local brewery (Apocalypse Ale Works) just partnered with another brewery a couple hours away (3 Brothers) to make "Bropocalypse," an authentic German Oktoberfest. Since it was an excellent beer, made sure to swing by the brewery/LHBS to congratulate the brewmaster. He said they brewed 900 gallons, so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it for the whole month of October!

Good beer always deserves recognition.

so constantly disappointed by Sam Adams (I buy it EVERY year hoping I will like it). It always tastes like...nothing...a complete void of flavor...

I agree - walked into the "lame-est" restaurant / bar in the world this past weekend...the closest thing they had to craft beer (didnt even have Guiness) was SA Oktoberfest....oh my, what a waste of good water. I couldn't help but think, this is bestowed upon the American public to pass as an Octoberfest...?

Luckily I'm here in SE Michigan, between Great Lakes and Bells, well heck, Frankenmuth, even Founders and Rochester Mills for that matter, I've got nothing to complain about - except getting dragged into this place against my will when so many more good options await.

.oh my, what a waste of good water. I couldn't help but think, this is bestowed upon the American public to pass as an Octoberfest...?

OK...I fel a little better that at least one person agrees with me. Just last week had Goose Island's Oktoberfest....not bad. Tonight is Left Hand and I have high hopes because I LOVE their Milk Stout.

I'm having a ninkasi o'fest. A few days ago I had a Weihenstephaner okto. Both of them are pretty pale in color. I'm going to have to look up the original oktoberfest beer, since I thought they were amber to copper in color. This ninkasi isn't what I think of when I think oktoberfest.

As far as an octoberfest that is easy to find I prefer Gordon Biersch over Sam Adams and Becks although those ones are quite good as well.

Latest posts

Back