How big primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Reaction score
How big does the primary fermenter need to be to do a 6gal kit wine?
I noticed the instructions for Winexpert Reserve wines says you must have an 8gal fermenter. Is it necessary to have a fermenter or can you work with a 6.5 gal bucket? I already have several 6.5 gal buckets and I didn't want to have to store additional larger fermenters if they were not required.

Thanks
Craig

Boy, I don't think 6.5 gallon buckets would do it. I use a 7.5 gallon bucket for my fermenters.

You could mix it all up carefully and split it into two buckets, though!

Yooper Chick said:
Boy, I don't think 6.5 gallon buckets would do it. I use a 7.5 gallon bucket for my fermenters.

You could mix it all up carefully and split it into two buckets, though!
Thanks, That's whay I figured. I'll pick up one of the 7.9gal fermenters from the HBS when I place my order.

Craig

hmmm news to me I asked this question a while back also. Because I wanted to do wine and have 6Gal BB and an ale pale 6.5, I think I asked it on this forum it may have been on northern brewers forum also...but if I remember right they said you would be ok

Get you a 7.9 gallon or bigger bucket. Some wines really foam during fermentation. I have had more than one 6 gallon kit foam over my 7.9 bucket. Also the extra room give you stirring room. I use a 10 gallon fermenter for kits or batches I feel may really foam during fermentation.

Also you really don't want to ferment wine in buckets you have fermented beer in. The odors leech into the plastic and can cross across into your wine. I know what you mean wanting to conserve some cash and use what you have though. I am getting ready to move into beer making. Most of my equipment will cross over but I am definitely going to get a new fermenter bucket just for beer. I will probably go with a 7.9 gallon for that as well.

Back