Mixing 2 Mr. Beer mixes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HogSmoke

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll

I've been lurking around here off and on over the past few months and decided to join up. I've only brewed a couple of batches of beer so far with my Mr. Beer kit and plan on expanding some. I have 3 more mixes left and will expand once I'm done with them.

I was wanting to mix to of the mixes to make a different and higher ABV beer. I have an Octoberfest that I was going to wait on, then a High Country Canadian Draft and Whispering Wheat Weizenbier. I don't know how ya'll figure up what the ABV will be, but if I mix those two together with the kit booster, will that give me the higher ABV I'm looking for or should I get some DME to add? Some have mentioned corn sugar? in research or maybe even honey?

Any info would be greatly appreciated and thanks so much to what this site has already contributed to my little knowledge of brewing. Can't wait to learn more.

Personally i wouldn't mix any of those kits. If you are wanting to get some more variety to brew then look up an Octoberfest extract recipe and then substitute your mr beer kit for parts of the recipe...

This is what i would do. At the end of the day though you are going to have some fermentables so you will be making some kind of beer, it just might not taste good.

The Mr Beer website has a lot of recipes for all of their hopped extracts. They have a few that mixes more than one of their flavors and they also give ABV estimates. I'd check that first.

I would look into buying LME/DME to use to boost the ABV and to replace the booster that comes with Mr Beer brews, if that's what you have. The beer turns out thinner when you use booster, sugar, or honey. LME is certainly cheaper, but unless you have a local home brew store (HBS) it would be difficult to buy small quantities. And use extra light or golden light as it won't impart different flavors. Those or wheat extract would work fine for the wheat beer. But know that it will change the hops profile (decreasing their punch).

There is a free recipe calculator on hopville.com here under beer calculus.

Latest posts

Back