Grapefruit citrusy aromas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woofy

Reaction score
Hi, I keep tasting English ales with very pronounced Grapefruity aromas/ flavours which sends them totally out of balance masking any malt flavours present. What gives? Any chance brewers are using aroma oils or some other tricks? A bad trend I say.
:mad:

I wonder if they've using cascades? It's been cheap lately and it's strong so they wouldn't need much. Some of the newer Goldings hops can also have citrus overtones. It would be interesting to know what ales.

Hate to say it but I can't remember, they've been quite obscure local London beers and I never have more than 1 pint of the stuff as I don't like it so never remember the name. It certainly doesn't taste anything like the Kent Goldings hops I use.

My latest brew was an ale with a huge amount of cascade and magnum hops. When I transfered to the secondary, I sampled it and it was like grapefruit juice (tasty to me). I dry hopped it with a cascade/magnum mix, and then kegged it. Now after a week or so in the keg, its present but not overpowering. A nice bitter/citrus flavor. I love the taste of casades!

I am drinking them in pubs, I think Cascade hops may be the answer. It's not one of those slight fruity flavours you get when a bit of rogue bacteria gets a little excited but a full on grapefruit citrus flavour. I dont mind hints of grapefruit but it can send the thing out of balance and mask those lovely malty flavours. i want to taste hops and malt.

Back