Second pitch of dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I brewed a monster RIS today and pitched with 1968. Gravity at pitching was 1.101, and I still haven't added the 15% sugar I was planning (2.36#).

I'm planning on pitching a pack of S-05 along with the sugar to help with attenuation but I'm not sure if I should just rehydrate and pitch, or actually get it active in a small starter.

I realize that making a starter is usually not recommended with dry yeast but we're usually giving out that advice when it's the first pitch. Will the yeast be ready to ferment if I plunk them in a wort that already has alcohol and no oxygen if they're only rehydrated in water?

dry yeast does not need oxygen to get going. look on danstar's website for info on this.

Well I went with the typical rehydration method and pitched it at the same time as the granulated sugar (which was dissolved and boiled in a bit of wort I saved from the mash leftovers). Things are active again but I guess I don't really know how well the US-05 took to the solution... I guess the proof will be in the FG. If I can get below 1.025-1.030 I'll be pretty happy.

Back