Dogfish head Rasion D'Etre extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question, i brewed the recipe given in EXTREME Brewing for Dogfish head Raison D'etre. I have always wanted this brew but they dont sell it where i live so i brewed it. I bottled it tonight and took a sample and it is much more sour then i anticipated. is this normal with this brew? and if not is it still drinkable? thanks for all input

The real one has a definite typical ale sourness - but nothing more sour than that. Tell us about your process. How long was the ferment, what temps, and how long has it been in bottles?

fermented it at around 70 - 74 for 3 weeks, just bottled it today

Are you familiar with the "green beer" taste of acetaldehyde? Does it taste like that? Even with a three week fermentation, it can be difficult to tell at bottling time what the fully developed taste will be. It's definitely still early. Give it at least 3 weeks in bottle before judging. Depending on the yeast 70-74 may be a little on the high side. I think it is common to start a fermentation for this style at a lower temp, then raise it toward the end.

Tell us about your recipe, including hops and yeast. Are there any pure sugars involved?

Not familiar with that taste. I used these ingredients

4 oz. crushed 60L crystal malt
8 oz. crushed light cocolate malt
6 lbs. light malt syrup
2 lbs. Light dry malt extract
1/2 oz. warrior hops (boil)
mixed 6 oz. of golden raisons and 2 cups of wort in the food processor and added at flame out and to the fermentor
8 oz, belgian medium candi sugar
1/2 vanguard hops at flame out
and used Wyeast 3522 belgian ale

the recipe sais to ferment from 71-74 farenheit
gravity readings are the way they are supposed to be just a real sour taste, i have heard of bad yeast giving a sour taste so im just kind of skeptical to if it all came out right

i went ahead and cracked open one of the smaller bottles i have and gave it a taste, its lost alot of the sour flavor already just 24 hours after bottling. but like you said theres no way to tell until its fully carbonated and ready to drink

Back