The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By happy you mean that Seattle managed to make it into the playoffs even though they went winless in their last seven matches after getting destroyed by LA in the final match???

As we said in LA for many a year, fuera Sigi.

Hey all,

Ive been watching EPL and Champion league games. I continue to hear "He is on loan from x club"

Does this mean a club can "rent" a player for a period of time? When the player on loan plays the club that holds their permanent rights does the player play his home club?

What is the advantage/disadvantage of loaning a player? I can see how it helps the home club defray the expense of a player but not much else.

Basically a player on loan means just that, that the team he's on now is borrowing him from their parent club. Usually this is done in an attempt to get a young guy playing time. Clubs who go after a player on loan usually want a premium talent but can't afford the transfer fee of that player. Sometimes players go on loan to just play somewhere (for example when Landon went to Everton in the offseason)

I'm going to the game this weekend vs. LA, I better leave the stadium happy.

By happy you mean that Seattle managed to make it into the playoffs even though they went winless in their last seven matches after getting destroyed by LA in the final match???

Seattle clinched their spot thanks to LA drawing with the ClashQuakes. But don't worry, you can repay us with 3 points on Sunday ;)

Glad for the berth, but still having trouble seeing that the Sounders will make it very far... Hope to be proven wrong but their form does not bode well.

Hey all,

Ive been watching EPL and Champion league games. I continue to hear "He is on loan from x club"

Does this mean a club can "rent" a player for a period of time? When the player on loan plays the club that holds their permanent rights does the player play his home club?

What is the advantage/disadvantage of loaning a player? I can see how it helps the home club defray the expense of a player but not much else.

To answer what wasn't already answered, it depends on the agreement, but typically, the player is prevented from playing against his parent club. For example, I believe Romelu Lukaku wasn't allowed to play against Chelsea earlier this season.

Should be a wild last weekend of the regular season in MLS! Every game has playoff implications, either on seeding or making it except for the Dallas-San Jose game. Should be some fun games.

Yeah this season has really come down to the wire. And it's strange to think that teams that started the season strong are now either fighting for a playoff spot or have just been eliminated.

To answer what wasn't already answered, it depends on the agreement, but typically, the player is prevented from playing against his parent club. For example, I believe Romelu Lukaku wasn't allowed to play against Chelsea earlier this season.

Correct, but it's not always the case. Celtic had a player on loan from Ajax and he played against his parent club.

It's also a good opportunity to get fringe players some game time at, mainly, a lower level club. Often, loaning a player out elsewhere is better than having them play reserve footie.

Loans can vary from 1 month to a full season. Wages aren't always covered in the loan either.

The New York Red Bulls win the Supporters Shield. This is their first trophy in the franchises 18 year history.

Eastern Conference Playoff matches are set up:
Montreal vs. Houston
New York vs. Montreal/Houston
Sporting KC vs. New England

Western Conference Playoff:
Seattle vs. Colorado
Portland vs. Seattle/Colorado
RSL vs. Los Angeles

Crazy... NYRB finally have silverware. Have they ever competed in the Champions League, like filling a spot meant for MLS Cup runners up?

Huh? I'm not for firing Sigi just yet. A lot of the problems we're having at the moment don't 100% stem from coaching. We fell off hard in the second half last night from what appeared to be fitness. EJ has been injured, as has Dempsey, though I would only give him a half pass. Also, I think they let the crybaby Robbie Keane get to them in the second half and the ref let a lot of garbage go, in both directions.

We also got away with murder on that goal scored by LA that was called off. Though upon further inspection, maybe the ball didn't cross the line...

goal-line.jpg

Also, I think they let the crybaby Robbie Keane get to them in the second half and the ref let a lot of garbage go, in both directions.
It was a haphazard match. And yes, Keane-O is known to make a fuss... but he's the captain and technically the only one allowed to do so (notice the keyword "technically" in reference to the ref-swarming that is now a finable offense but still hasn't dropped in frequency.) He did get started right away against Seattle though... and San Jose the week before.

However, my theory on him is that he's just insanely outspoken. Often, just off-camera, is Keane seemingly yelling at one of his own teammates, usually in reference to a bad through-ball or a missed opportunity. But this issue was covered quite a bit at the beginning of his tenure: he's not yelling, he's coaching on the fly. He has a great locker room attitude, plus he is (for the most part) a clean and class player. I see him having the same mentality as I did when I was a keeper: if I'm yelling at you during a game I'm not mad, just getting my point across. If I'm quiet.... yeah, I'm f**king mad. And you definitely will see him be distinctly mad. You'll see him grind his teeth and run his hands roughly through his hair at certain points when he's just had enough with the ref/opposition/midfielder-who-should-just-send-a-good-ball-through-already-damnit.

We also got away with murder on that goal scored by LA that was called off. Though upon further inspection, maybe the ball didn't cross the line...

goal-line.jpg

f8446_a_jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Forget Goal Line Technology, I was competent refs.

Seattle hosts Colorado tonight! Who ya got?

If you told me before the season started I would be taking Colorado to best Seattle in Seattle in the opening playoff game I would say you are crazy! But I like the young talent of Colorado. I also think all the pressure will be the Sounders and they have not looked good down the stretch. Rapids in a shocker 2-1.

Seattle hosts Colorado tonight! Who ya got?

If you told me before the season started I would be taking Colorado to best Seattle in Seattle in the opening playoff game I would say you are crazy! But I like the young talent of Colorado. I also think all the pressure will be the Sounders and they have not looked good down the stretch. Rapids in a shocker 2-1.

Grrr, I hate your comment but cannot argue much with it.

I feel about as nervous for this game as I did for the Pirates vs. Reds wildcard game a few weeks back. Hopefully it turns out the same and the Sounders route the Rapids, but honestly, who knows.

Can't argue even though I really want to. Gunners were the better side. Both goals were brilliant. Cazorlas was skill and hustle all in one.

LFC just didn't seem to have a spark and Gerrard was lack luster at the best. Was a poor showing all around.

Silver lining is maybe this wakes them up, the next couple fixtures hopefully show a little energy and desire.

Two fun MLS Playoff games tonight! No one should be surprised that NYRB weited the bed. SKC might have got the playoff monkey off their back with a thrilling game versus New England.

The Western Conference games will have some work to match the games from tonight.

Sorry, I just don't understand the purpose of the MLS playoffs.
Something like only 6 times the supporters shield winner has won the MLS Cup.
Columbus crew had some absolutely dominant teams that weren't crowned MLS champions.

Just my opinion (& I understand its not a popular one).

It's because this is MERICUH. All of our other sports have playoffs, why would the MLS not cater to the MERICUHNS?

I don't know, I just really like the playoffs. It adds a ton of drama and I really can't complain about more matches to watch.

But I'm still pissed LA got knocked out. They should have won their first leg by 3-0 or 4-0 but their finishing was terrible. The same thing happened on the return leg but this time RSL punished them for it.

I can't imagine a scenario where my team has battled all season long to achieve a good final standing (I can dream) Only, at the end of the season to participate in an equivalent to a penalty shoot out against teams that did less well........And for no good reason!!!

More concisely: What is a league system for?

I can't imagine a scenario where my team has battled all season long to achieve a good final standing (I can dream) Only, at the end of the season to participate in an equivalent to a penalty shoot out against teams that did less well........And for no good reason!!!

More concisely: What is a league system for?

What can I say. It's a system that is punishing and tests a teams depth. But the fact that the playoffs exist create some really exciting and tense situations in the regular season. Towards the end of this season, the difference between 2nd place (qualifying for playoffs) and 6th place (getting knocked out) was a one-match difference in points. This was the case for both conferences. Just about every single match in October was an important one in which it was vital to get a result in order to qualify.

In leagues that don't have playoffs (read: pretty much every other one) by the end of the season there is quite often a distinct 1st place, negating the importance of many matches. On the other hand, it was pretty clear that NYRB was going to be 1st in the Eastern Conference but the rest of the playoff bracket wasn't even set until the very last day of the regular season.

On another note, in the Western Conference, the worst team (Chivas USA... who shouldn't even exist) still had an effect on the final outcomes of the playoff seeding seeing as their last two matches were against the two clubs jockeying for 1st and 2nd (Portland and RSL).

In conclusion to a not very well thought-out and organized defense of the playoffs, I just enjoy the playoffs. It's not for everybody but I just feel it gives MLS its own flavor, or as haters would say, "Americanized." :mug:

Cup or bowl games exist for drama, league games exist to find out who the best teams are. I honestly can't see why the two should be mixed. Sorry. :(

Another thing to consider is America is friggin huge. In order for MLS to survive back in the beginning (and to be sustainable today) they had to reduce travel distances. The last couple seasons have been good about this by having an unbalanced system, that is you play in-conference clubs more than you do out-of-conference clubs. But this produces results that, on a single table, aren't really a true ranking. Essentially the only way to level the playing field due to difference in strength of schedule (i.e. the Eastern Conference was overall pretty weak this season) is pit the best of each conference head-to-head.

Another thing to consider is America is friggin huge. In order for MLS to survive back in the beginning (and to be sustainable today) they had to reduce travel distances. The last couple seasons have been good about this by having an unbalanced system, that is you play in-conference clubs more than you do out-of-conference clubs. But this produces results that, on a single table, aren't really a true ranking. Essentially the only way to level the playing field due to difference in strength of schedule (i.e. the Eastern Conference was overall pretty weak this season) is pit the best of each conference head-to-head.

I do understand that issue. I have mentioned it in the past.

Play-offs still suck though! :p

The Houston KC match was ugly. MLS has a very long way to go to catch up to the European leagues.

Graham Suzi looked like a man among boys on the pitch in terms of skill.

Back