Krausen to the ceiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMckeever

Reaction score
Well, I have had my Delirium Tremens in the primary for a week, and everything was going good. I had a bubbles about every second for most of the time. I wake up this morning and check on it and the krausen had risen and flew out of the air lock.My question is, should i just let it calm down or put it in a secondary? Also, I got it from austin home brew, and it came with a 1% alcohal boost. When should i put that in?

I would not move it as it is actively fermenting. If you do not have a blow off tube and use a plastic bucket just set the lid loosely on the top. It will let CO2 out without blowing off the airlock or lid. Once it calms down then you can secure the lid tighter. I have never used the alcohol boost from Austin but was under impression that it was corn sugar and should be added to the boil.

Ill try that. Right now i have it sitting in the second bathroom's tub. I had to light a candle because of the awful smell. As far as the boost, looks like i'll have 2% to add to the next batch! thanks for the quick reply!

You can just boil the alcohol boost in water for about 15 minutes and add it into your primary. Seems like there's enough yeast to work on it too :D

No reason to not add the boost as TG suggested. Sounds like you might have to make up a little volume anyway.

has anyone ever brewed the delerium tremens clone from austin home brew? i just transferred this to a secondary. I must say, it has probably the worst smell ever to it. Nothing like in the bottles you can buy. Will this clear up? The color looks fine, but with that smell i am scared to taste it!

JayMckeever said:
has anyone ever brewed the delerium tremens clone from austin home brew? i just transferred this to a secondary. I must say, it has probably the worst smell ever to it. Nothing like in the bottles you can buy. Will this clear up? The color looks fine, but with that smell i am scared to taste it!

Considering that a "smell" can tell you exactly whats going on with a brew - "the worst smell ever" is about as vague as you can get...

well, it's been lesson learned here. This beer has been in bottles for almost 2 weeks. I just opened one up and it tastes better than what you can buy in stores!!!! This was only my 2nd brew... and needless to say from the outcome of this one that I am more than eager to order another kit from austinhomebrew!

MUST HAVE PATIENCE!!!!!

Back