Pry off brands available in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting started and looked around the Liquor Mart (Manitoba) and there are few to none of the pry off brands, unless I wan t to buy singles for $3.00 a bottle. Are there any pry off brands readily available to Canada (especially Manitoba) so I can go to the recyclers and pick up a few cases. Alternatives would be to get the Canadian glass twist offs or go to the LHBS and buy PETs.

As far as i know, corona-MGD-stella artois are all pry offs...first two are clear bottles though...I have no problems capping twist offs, but its much easier to pick up a bench capper for cheap and cap em that way...i found two on kijiji..picked em up for 15 each. Another option are the swingtop bottles...that way you wouldn't even need a capper. I buy mine back from the recycle depot for $3 per dozen....can sometimes find em on kijiji as well. :mug:

Thanks, I am currently looking at getting swing tops, bought out the LHBS last weekend. I guess for now I will have to get the twists, and the LHBS rents a bench top capper for a couple of bucks a day. More suggestions are welcome.

How much are you paying for the swingtops from the LHBS? Mine wants $30 per dozen.....that's why i get em for 3bucks a dozen at the recycle depot. Grolsch and Fischer are the only two brands i've seen imported to canada so far with swingtops. Ikea also sells 1L swingtops...not sure if you have one close?

I got the EZ cap type from him $12/doz, but he only had 24. He also has the Grolsche but I wanted to get the brown bottles first. I may have to find the recycling depot here and go take a look.

Thanks for the search, I did email the guy about the Grolsche bottles and his post about offers really meant if it is not over $20/doz, don't waste my time, I can go back to my beer guy and buy his Grolsche bottles for $1ea.

hahahhaha....yeah, there's a few posts down this way that are around the 20per dozen price, some at 10 per dozen....Not sure why some people think these things are gold mines....cheaper to buy kegs than bottles at that price...LOL. The most i've paid for swingtops from the recycle depot was 35cents each....the rest i've bought for 25cents each($3per dozen).....Sounds like your LHBS has decent prices with $12per doz on the ez-cap type....around here they're overpriced...:mad:

I fully agree with that, can't wait until I get the basement finished and can set up the kegs. I bought 6 corney kegs for less than this guy wants for 6 dozen used bottles.

Back