Running coaxial cable question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
Im thinking about running cable to anther room, second story, for the new cable wireless router. My parents house has a phone line that runs upstairs that goes through a heater duct. Its away from the furnace so it doesn't burn or anything. Would be running a coaxial cable up a duct to the share room upstairs be a bad idea if it was a safe distance away from the furnace?

yeah, I would avoid the duct myself. Heat = electrical noise due to the random collisions of electrons.

buy plenum rated cable and it should be fine. Its more expensive but will avoid any heat, fire, etc issues.

Ceedubya has the right idea. I worked for a cable company back in the '80s and using the plenum cable in the ducting made many a job easier.

I'm not sure where you can get plenum cable though, I doubt home depot, radio shack, etc has it. But it wouldn't hurt to check.

If I have some on hand, I might be able to spare a bit and send it to you. How much will you need? I will check around and see if I have any leftover on a spool somewhere.

Back