Over dry hopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
Is it possible to go overboard while dry hopping an IIPA? Let say a 5 gallon batch in secondary with 4oz, 12oz or even 2lb's of hops or more. What kind of effect, other than aroma, could come from this?
Good idea or no?

Overly dry hopped beers, I've read (maybe in one of Randy Mosher's books, I can't remember for sure) can acquire a grassy or vegetal taste. I can't speak from personal experience though - I usually dry hop in small amounts and for modest amounts of time, around 4 days.

If you use leaf hops, you'll lose a lot of liquid that gets absorbed by the hops. If you use pellet, you'll have a ton of hop sludge that you'll need to rack off the top of. Either way, you'll lose a noticeable amount of volume.

4 oz is not going overboard at all. 2 lbs is.

Too much can taste like eating the lawn. Did it once and eventually it faded to be very drinkable.

Quantity depends on the hops used and the beer. Pliny the Elder uses more than 4 oz in a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for the info.
I am planning to do a 4oz dry hop with my iipa.
2oz centennial and 2 oz cascade for 10-14 days.
Anyone see any problem with that amount or time?

Does the time make much difference or does it basically reach a certain point and that's all that can be released? I only dry hopped with a couple of ounces, but I may have to delay bottling for another week. Shouldn't be an issue should it?

Does the time make much difference or does it basically reach a certain point and that's all that can be released? I only dry hopped with a couple of ounces, but I may have to delay bottling for another week. Shouldn't be an issue should it?

The time absolutely makes a difference. Too short and you won't get much out of it. Too long and you'll start to lose the hop flavor and aroma that you're trying to add. IME 7-10 days seems to be the sweet spot.

The opinions you will get can be all over the place. Some people swear by 10-14 days, some people 3-5 days and others in between. There is a point of no return meaning at some point the more hops will yield little effect but it will come down to each particular beer, gravity, grist, flavor profile etc.

Personally I am in the 5-7 day camp and will typically dry hop with 2-3 oz total for most of my hoppy beers and am very satisfied with the results.

There are studies being done in Oregon pertaining to dry hopping and there are articles out there on it, don't have the links handy, sorry. but my memory recalls the studies showing that less time actually yields better flavor and aroma results in as little as 3 days but the studies were done using tanks that stirred the beer continuously for the dry hop period and more for commercial scale brewing where time and money is a big concern. I have not sen any studies regarding home brew scale and method.

I just did a 12 day, 3-stage dryhop with 6.75 total oz. (2.25 oz. additions split into 4 day increments). The prior stage dryhops were discarded after each subsequent stage.

It has the most fantastic aroma I've ever smelled in an IIPA. Registered at 1.072 OG and 1.014 FG for 5 gallons bottled.

Thanks for the info.
I am planning to do a 4oz dry hop with my iipa.
2oz centennial and 2 oz cascade for 10-14 days.
Anyone see any problem with that amount or time?

Nope. You might consider dryhopping a portion for the whole 10 to 14 days and another portion added a few days before you plan to bottle or keg. I've noticed that can add a bit more complexxity than

Back