Fantome Saison clone, fermentation temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfan13

Reaction score
What do you guys think I should ferment this beer at using Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison yeast ? I know this yeast likes to ferment higher. Just wondering where everyone thinks I should be ? 75 ? 80?

I have only brewed with it once and it was a year or two ago. Suggestions ?

I'm 30 minutes away from pitching yeast for a Saison. Going with 78 degrees for the whole fermentation time. Last time it came out great at that temperature.

What do you guys think I should ferment this beer at using Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison yeast ? I know this yeast likes to ferment higher. Just wondering where everyone thinks I should be ? 75 ? 80?

I have only brewed with it once and it was a year or two ago. Suggestions ?

We ramp up after pitching dial it in at 92'. Hit terminal gravity easily and don't get stuck at the dreaded 1.030 that this yeast is notorious for. We brew Saison/use this yeast on a regular basis and doing it this way never fails. 3724 is a completely different animal than 3711 or 3726, both of which ferment at lower temps.

The best I am going to be able to do is 75 which is what I keep it at in the house. We will see how it turns out but the brew day went well.

What's your malt bill? Are you planning on pitching brett, too? I've read 3725, confusingly labeled 'Biere de Garde', is the Phantome Sacc. strain. ECY03 had has the Phantome brett and a blend of 4 Sacc. strains.

What's your malt bill? Are you planning on pitching brett, too? I've read 3725, confusingly labeled 'Biere de Garde', is the Phantome Sacc. strain. ECY03 had has the Phantome brett and a blend of 4 Sacc. strains.

I was going back and forth on what I wanted to brew and just couldn't make up my mind. I went into Austin Homebrew and was flipping through their recipes and saw the Fantome clone. I did zero research on it.

I have no idea if this is gong to be close at all but

11 pounds Belgian pale
6 oz aromatic
1.5 pounds white wheat

The best I am going to be able to do is 75 which is what I keep it at in the house. We will see how it turns out but the brew day went well.

If you don't have temp control you are better off using 3711 which will give you great results at lower temps. You will be very frustrated with 3724 if the highest temp you can ferment @ is 75'.

I ended up moving it upstairs. It fluctuates between 77 and 80 up there. I do have a fermentation freezer but i don't have a way to keep it that warm in the freezer.

If ambient temp is pushing 80, your fermenter should hit mid 80s. Throw a sleeping bag or some blankets on it to help it stay warm when the fermentation slow down.

If ambient temp is pushing 80, your fermenter should hit mid 80s. Throw a sleeping bag or some blankets on it to help it stay warm when the fermentation slow down.

If you can get into the mid 80's with blankets that will help quite a bit. You should be able to reach terminal gravity - just be prepared for a 4- 6 week fermentation period.

Back