I never understood "horse blanket"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK screw it, I'm going to buy a bottle of Orval TODAY and try it. First it was Wild Brews then Charlie P.'s Tweeting about going to Orval and now you guys keep talking about it..... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRUGH! I can't take it!! :D

Hard to believe I've tried every trappist but Orval and Westvleteren, but good luck finding the latter.

I am always surprised at how many beer enthusiasts have not had Orval. It is hands down my favorite trappist. I think people overlook it because it's available everywhere, it were as hard to get as the Westy stuff people would be paying high prices and trading for it all the time. Possibly the most underrated beer ever, and after they have raised what they need to fund the monastery for the year all extra profits go to charity, so you are supporting a good cause too.

I did an Orval clone that came out great. Just brew up a strong Belgian golden ale, dump a bottle of Orval in the keg, and let it sit for a few months. MMmmmmmmm. Smelling Orval is like smelling opium. It's hypnotic.

Here's another Orval fan chiming in. I think it is so great because it is not brash. It is subtle, delicious, and you can drink it all night. Some of the triples and quads can't stand up for all night like that.

Here's another Orval fan chiming in. I think it is so great because it is not brash. It is subtle, delicious, and you can drink it all night. Some of the triples and quads can't stand up for all night like that.

I love Orval, particularly bottles that have aged for a bit. Really accentuates the Brett. The combination of noble hops and Brett is simply delicious.

While hints of old leather can be considered an attractive flavor/aroma, horse blanket can never be. Sorry you had to experience it.

I just ordered Belgian yeast described as that. Just had to get it don't know why, figured if they sell it can't be all bad! :D

Nope, haven't tried it. Might if I was offered a free sample, but given my preferences, I wouldn't pay for a pint.

Had a Belgian in the last judging that was "horse manure". Couldn't figure out anything else to call it. Oddly, once that smell was gone the beer was ok.

While hints of old leather can be considered an attractive flavor/aroma, horse blanket can never be. Sorry you had to experience it.

Never? I've seen it described as an attractive aroma in several places for styles incorporating Brett. Say, here, for example:

Aroma: A decidedly sour/acidic aroma is often dominant in young examples, but may be more subdued with age as it blends with aromas described as barnyard, earthy, goaty, hay, horsey, and horse blanket...

I came across it for 3 bucks a bottle at QFC, so I had to pick up a few. It's really different from what I'm accustomed to. The spicyness almost burns the tongue like pepper. The earthyness... I'd almost describe the flavor as "dirty". I couldn't drink it all the time, or even drink several in an evening. But I'll be picking up a bottle now and then.

Unlike Lindeman's which is too sweet and lacking in depth, this Chapeau Kriek (from Brouwerij de Troch) has a nice horse blanket character to it which is nice. If only I could get their oude gueuze I think I'd be a notch closer to heaven...

Onto the Orval in a bit! :mug:

EDIT: do'oh, looks like Spec's has their Faro, I didn't see that. I'll have to give that a try as well next time I venture in there.

Never? I've seen it described as an attractive aroma in several places for styles incorporating Brett. Say, here, for example:
I stand corrected. While I find nothing pleasing about the smell of old sweat, it appears some do. Maybe I spent to much time on the farm brushing those sweaty horses.

Unlike Lindeman's which is too sweet and lacking in depth, this Chapeau Kriek (from Brouwerij de Troch) has a nice horse blanket character to it which is nice. If only I could get their oude gueuze I think I'd be a notch closer to heaven...

Onto the Orval in a bit! :mug:

EDIT: do'oh, looks like Spec's has their Faro, I didn't see that. I'll have to give that a try as well next time I venture in there.

See if you can find their peach. Chapeau Peche is probably the best peach lambic I've ever had.

I stayed at the Sheraton in Brussels a few years ago and they gave me two bottles of Orval when I checked out.

Man, I'm finding deals in interesting beers at that store. Last time was Orval. Today I got Kasteel Rouge and Maredsous 8 for 2 bucks.

I stand corrected. While I find nothing pleasing about the smell of old sweat, it appears some do. Maybe I spent to much time on the farm brushing those sweaty horses.

No problem. I happen to love the smell of sweaty horse. Not necessarily in a beer, mind you.

(wait..did I say that out loud?...) :eek:

Yep they have the peach. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Moving onto Nocturnum now. Soon I'll be Noctur-numb. :drunk:

I'm sorry, I was thinking about the St. Louis Peche. I've never had the Chapeau peche... but the chapeau Mirabelle is tasty... but they all are really.

I came across it for 3 bucks a bottle at QFC, so I had to pick up a few. It's really different from what I'm accustomed to. The spicyness almost burns the tongue like pepper. The earthyness... I'd almost describe the flavor as "dirty". I couldn't drink it all the time, or even drink several in an evening. But I'll be picking up a bottle now and then.

$3 for Orval! wow, what a steal! Orval tastes like feet wrapped in burnt leathery bacon, and it is delicious.

Back