NB Petite Saison Kit and Green Flash Summer Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the Petite Saison extract kit from NB and/or tried the Summer Saison from Green Flash?

I had this beer at the green flash showcase my local bar had the other night and it immediately reminded me of the kit I brewed, I mean, I felt like I was drinking one of my homebrews!

I have only one of these homebrews left, I was planning on saving it just to see what a little extended age would do to it but I am thinking now about picking up one of these beers and trying them side by side.

It sort of bothered me that I payed bar prices to what amounted to my second ever homebrew, but then I thought... Maybe I should buy a crap-load of NB kits and start my own brewery!

It would be great to get another opinion if anyone has the ability to chime in! One thing I would note though is that I did add 1/2# biscuit malt to the NB recipe.

I did make the Petite Saison and it turned out quite well! I added 1lb of honey to the receipe to kick it up a little bit. Sorry but I have never had Green Flash to compare it to. If I see it somewhere I will be sure to pick it up to I can compare.

I thought about adding honey or something, I think I was talked out of it because people said it would make it too dry. Which, now that I think about it, I love dry beer and I have never had one that I though was "too dry" I can't imagine what that would be like.

I liked the kit a lot but I would have liked there to be a little more malt/hop character than there was the yeast flavors (which I love) just sort of ruled over everything so much that it seemed slightly out of balance. I steeped a half pound of biscuit malt too, but I didn't really feel like I got much out of doing that.

Def try the green flash if you can I would love to have a second opinion on that.

Back