Element question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John53189

Reaction score
I have been researching electric brewing, and I thought I would bring this up. This is a Teflon coated 5.5 kw element.
34c9b8dfec00138af1d9a4ab93c7ac5f_zps637422a7.jpg

So I do know low watt density is important, and I assume it is related to surface area, which their is plenty of here. I am looking for feedback, or any comment on this.
This element is used in a spa, and obviously is very durable.
I know Teflon is used in valves and some cookware so I would think it would be ok to use.
Thanks

Why don't you send a link with detailed information related to the element? Manufacturer, specifications, etc. would help anyone who wanted to assist you. A picture, in this case, is difficult to assess. Also, what do you feel that this element will give you that the Camco type ULWD elements that are often used by homebrewers here does not offer?

How much do they cost? The 5500 and 4500w elements I was looking at the other day in Home Depot looked pretty good for like 20 bucks, and I have not heard reports of people wearing them out...

Why don't you send a link with detailed information related to the element? Manufacturer, specifications, etc. would help anyone who wanted to assist you. A picture, in this case, is difficult to assess. Also, what do you feel that this element will give you that the Camco type ULWD elements that are often used by homebrewers here does not offer?

Well, price and durability were the 2 things that came up. This also is available in in a non coated version ( both are incoloy).
I see it this way, I can get an element for $30-40 that is the same materials listed on a brew site, I can avoid retail markup. I am in the pool/spa industry so I can get a good price. I have not purchased anything yet, I am just asking for feedback.

It's a resistive element designed for heating water. If used within parameters, I don't see any glaring problems. The terminals look bare,the nuts look like they might be live. How could it be installed?

Just don't scrape off any of that teflon into your beer. Very toxic.
I don't read the article as stating Teflon coatings are very toxic. There is a huge amount of info on the pros and cons of that polymer. I would rather discuss the pros and cons in the general chit chat rather than entirely divert this thread.

It's a resistive element designed for heating water. If used within parameters, I don't see any glaring problems. The terminals look bare,the nuts look like they might be live. How could it be installed?

No, the mounting nuts are not live, it would mount in 2 small holes vs one large hole. The white is an epoxy potted flange. Power connects on the smaller nut on the end.
Not trying to reinvent the wheel, but no reason not to seek out all options.

Their website really does not have a lot of info, and are only available through distribution.

The gas given off by burning Teflon is toxic, Teflon is harmless.
Not sure I would scrape any of the coating off, they are heavy duty elements. I think most elements are coated, so I would think its a risk with others as well.

I'd be interested to hear how it works. It may be LWD based on surface area, but the coil puts all the heat is a small area, not spread out like a single fold back element. First impression, that would defeat our purpose for using a LWD element.

Since OP hasn't delivered ... http://thermproducts.com/usa/?p=1938

I like the idea of an element that has mounting nuts instead of a screw in. You could mount it to a TC end cap and have a system with zero threads in contact with wort. Problem is that 2" OD kills it.

Since OP hasn't delivered ... http://thermproducts.com/usa/?p=1938

I like the idea of an element that has mounting nuts instead of a screw in. You could mount it to a TC end cap and have a system with zero threads in contact with wort. Problem is that 2" OD kills it.
Yea that's it, forgot to post that. I was wondering about the coil being to compact in one area.
The one I posted is a bit longer than the one in the link. Must be the new style.

Latest posts

Back