Need a last minute ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
I come to you o masters of the brew for your help... Due to my inability to read and comprehend a football schedule, I didn't reqalize the Aggies had this many homegames in September. Since the SWMBO and I always have a party homegame weekend, I am going to need alot more beer... and fast... I have a bit stocked up, and more in secondaries, but I am going to need a good, late party type beer, and quite a bit of it. Here is my plan:

2lbs crystal 10L
12lbs extra light LME
4lbs corn syryp
1.5oz cascade @ 60min
3oz cascade @5min
Yeast? whatever i have in the fridge, prob Sfale-04

Boil the above in 2 different batches and use a 15.5 keg as a primary. fill to 2/3 and allow to ferment. at 72 hours top off to 15 gal. at 3,4, and 5 weeks, transfer to cornies to force carb and serve when the good stuff runs out.

Im thinking of naming it "last resort" or somthing along those lines:D

Since I am fermenting in a larger container, I am worried about it getting a little warm and coming out fruity, although I will take steps to prevent this. If someone has a recipie for a warmer fermenting beer that is ready fast and is cheap to make, Ill take it. I did do a search for recipies, but most of them were AG and i need extract.

Help and support is welcome (thats why I'm here :D )

Got this recipe off the web... we've made this three times and everyone loves it... which is a little annoying because I'd rather people raved about our AG batches instead. Nonetheless: easy partial mash, ferments were warm and quick, beer was still great.

Special Bitter (slightly adapted from 'Bass-Alike', original link is dead now):

5.25 pounds, pale LME
2 ounces, roast barley (lightly crushed)
8 ounces, crushed crystal malt
2 ounces, Fuggles (pellets)
1 ounce, Goldings (pellets)
1/4 ounce, Goldings (pellets)
1/2 ounce, Goldings (pellets)
Ale yeast (I used Edme but wanted to try Wyeast)
gypsum and Irish moss, if necessary
Procedure:
This is a 5 gallon batch. Boil up a couple of gallons of water, add LME, fuggles, and 1 ounce of goldings. Make tea out of roast barley, and strain into main boiler. Make tea out of crystal malt and strain into main boiler. (Half way through boil add local water ingredients and Irish moss if required). After boil, add 1/2 ounce of Goldings, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Pour into primary, make up to 5 gallons and pitch yeast. Rack and add 1/4 ounce Goldings and complete fermentation.
Specifics:
O.G.: 1.031
F.G.: 1.010
Primary: 4 days

I use Wyeast London Ale Yeast (#1028) from a previous batch re-pitched right on slurry and it finished in only a few days at around 75deg. If you were to use dry yeast your results should be similar I guess, or you could make a monster starter with the wyeast liquid.

Haha, and since it's an English, you don't have to worry about it warming up at the party :D.

Back