Story behind sample paddles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
So I was at our local brewpub last friday with SWMBO and I ordered one of those sample paddles. It occured to me that every brewpub I have been to serves their samples on the same or similar type paddle. Slight variations but generally always resembling a bat used in the game of cricket with either wells or holes to hold the small glasses.

Is there some story behind this "tradition" a bit if breweriana trivia? I know, who cares right? Well, I do, I am really interested in useless tidbits. :rolleyes:

Anybody know about this?

Golden Valley uses staves from used wine barrels for their Ten Tap sampler. The ends are beveled so the stave be stable and the ten holes are routed to fit a four ounce glass. A nice touch. Most of the brewpubs around here just use a printed place mat.

Golden Valley uses staves from used wine barrels for their Ten Tap sampler. The ends are beveled so the stave be stable and the ten holes are routed to fit a four ounce glass. A nice touch. Most of the brewpubs around here just use a printed place mat.

I stopped and had lunch at Golden Valley yesterday on my way back from Rogue in Newport. I saw those staves and commented to SWMBO what a cool idea that is. And especially appropriate being located in the heart of Oregon wine country.

Koslch in Germany is often served from a round tray with partial holes drilled in them to hold the glasses in place. I've seen Alt beers in Germany served on a long board similarily outfitted with partial holes holding a dozen glasses. Both are served in smallish straight sided glasses.

The samplers I've had at brewpubs, more often than not, have come on round serving trays

well, there does not seem to be a conesensus as to the "paddle experience" or any clues.

So, with all apologies to you Brits, Aussies, New Zealanders (?) Indians, and any other cricket playing folks, I will invent the following story for my amusement and edification...

The sampler paddle offered at brew pubs in the U.S. hearkens back to the early days of cricket. The paddle consisting of generally 6 routed or completely cut out holes to hold 6 small glasses (marked to hold 3 oz. each) is modeled after the cricket bat. Allegedely early in the games history it was the tradition for the losing team to notch holes in one of their best bats to serve the winning team one of each type of beer served at the winning teams choice of pub. Thus allowing them to sample each of the pubs offerings at the losers expense. How this tradition was transfered to a country who knows absolutely nothing of the game of cricket is yet to be detemined. Anthropologists are still seeking an answer...

Okay, there you have it. Until someone gives an actual answer.

Disclaimer

I (obviously) know nothing more about the game of cricket than what I learned watching sesame street with my son. :drunk:

Back