Retro Regional Beer Clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockfish42

Reaction score
In October's BYO magazine they apparently had some retro regional beer clones. Any subscribers care to chime in if they think it's a decent article?

I'm tempted to spring the 5 bucks for the issue, but I'm worried it'll just be 2 or 6 row with differing amounts of corn or etc.

I'd bet they're mostly lagers...

yeah. But most of those "retro" regional lagers are pretty tasty. Any of the pre 80's corporate merger beers. That's why a lot of companies (mostly SAB miller) have released old school recipes of their beers. Strohs's is back for instance. I think some of them taste 10,000 times better than Bud....

I also love Yuengling. Which really hasn't changed their recipes, so you get an idea of how flavorful they were back then.

Olympia, Dixie, Choc, Hamm’s and Rolling Rock

It's the special techniques I'm curious about, I already do a pretty mean CAP.

Just those 5? Maybe I'll pass it by, I was hoping for some more. I'll take a look at it at the lhbs, but I've probably got more interesting regional ones in the links in my Beer History Sites thread, I know I have some regionally specific ones in there.

yeah. But most of those "retro" regional lagers are pretty tasty. Any of the pre 80's corporate merger beers. That's why a lot of companies (mostly SAB miller) have released old school recipes of their beers. Strohs's is back for instance. I think some of them taste 10,000 times better than Bud....

I hadn't heard about Stroh's...maybe we don't get that around here. The Schlitz retro is pretty good.

Supposedly these are older versions of the recipes, Olympia and Rolling rock are made by Inbev and SABMiller respectively now.

Anyone care to share the recipe for Rolling Rock? Id brew that for my dad, he used to drink it back in the day but has since stopped buying it.

Back