The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, LA mediocre'd their way into the next stage of CCL. The starting lineup had literally zero starters and the only non-LA2 players starting were Gargan and Gordo.

Well, when your opposition comes from Trinidad and Tobago and Guatemala you can afford to be a little lazy. Next round should see LA trying a little harder.

Well, when your opposition comes from Trinidad and Tobago and Guatemala you can afford to be a little lazy. Next round should see LA trying a little harder.

True. It's just stroke-inducing sometimes. I understand the strategy and I'd rather have rested legs for the MLS match on Sunday but at the same time I'd have liked a bit more experience in the midfield in order to secure the group win a little more soundly.

But at least they didn't do their usual "let's bring the best starting XI the league has ever seen and play like ass because we turn into amateurs on the road"

This is what a lot of people thought would happen, the accusations started with folks in the Americas (South and North) and its now spreading outward as offices get raided and documents and accounts are examined. This is literally going to take years to sort out, especially with multiple governments sending out indictments. Hold on to your butts, this is about to get a lot more complicated.

If you're a USMNT fan but not a fan of MLS, this post is kinda relevant to you: Keep the name Cyle Larin in mind, because he's probably going to score some goals on us. Cyle Larin not only broke the rookie scoring record last night, but he shattered it with a hat trick. With 14 goals on the season he's tied with last season's Golden Boot winner, Bradley Wright Phillips, for 6th. Unfortunately for the USMNT, Cyle Larin is Canadian (boo!) and seems quite happy playing for his home country, as long as he keeps pushing himself he'll be a thorn in our side whenever we face Canada in the future.

Some happy spurs all up in here.

Watched the first half, and then was judging during the second and couldn't really watch.

I figured Strong Ales were fitting, dull the senses after we got slaughtered by Man City. Never would have guessed it would go the other way, eh? Wish I'd been able to watch the second, but I was getting the updates from Fotmob.

Glad Harry finally found the back of the net.

Loving the released images of the new stadium. http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...m-northumberland-development-project-drawings I haven't been to White Hart Lane in a VERY long time (not since I was a young boy), and made my wife promise we'd go back to the new one, whatever they end up calling it, once it's done.

And of course it's Drogba scoring twice in the first 11 minutes.

Crazy weekend in MLS, does anyone actually want the Supporter's Shield? Because the only one playing like it at the top is LA. RSL isn't officially dead, but that late goal loss almost seals it. Somehow Houston are alive again. The Impact are scary now, thanks to Drogba and DC United are screwing up their season right at the end. There's still nobody safe in the west. Oh yeah, and Chicago are now officially out of the playoffs, I'll probably do a write-up on that in a while.

So, a quick look at the Chicago Fire, how it relates to the national team, what went wrong and what they can do to fix it.

Why does this matter to the USMNT?
Sean Johnson and Harry Shipp are some fantastic, all-American talents that could be utilized by the USMNT at some point (Johnson already has 5 caps), but they languish in obscurity and frustration in Chicago.

How are they out?
With 3 games left in the season they are 15 points out, impossible to make.

What went wrong?
Well, just about everything. Let's start with player selections, believe it or not the Fire formerly had not only have a full 3 designated players, but they bought down Kennedy Igboanaike with TAM money so they had four. They just sold off Shaun Maloney to Hull after he did virtually nothing, despite insisting they wanted to keep him. The rest of the DPs are similarly disappointing. Frank Yallop was a terrible choice for coach and the team actually got worse over his tenure after being terrible before.

What went right?
Sean Johnson continues to be great goalkeeper, Harry Shipp is a great young midfielder and Jeff Larentowicz continues to be solid at defensive mid. Towards the end of the year David Accam and Kennedy Igboanaike have begun to score goals so maybe next year they'll earn their salaries. That's about it.

What do they need to do improve?
In theory, Chicago should be a "big market" team, but realistically it's a mid or even low market team due to competing sports. If they're going to be a mid-market team, they need to utilize their resources as a mid market team. The Fire need to invest in great scouts and a player academy to either sell their young talent to other teams or to develop them to play for the Fire on the cheap (until they get talented enough to be traded to other leagues or teams). The Fire will, almost certainly, have first pick in the draft, they absolutely 100% need to get that pick right. Finally, instead of buying three or four borderline designated players, spend big on just one or two guys (See: Drogba to Montreal Impact) and get a coach that can really utilize young talent.

Chicago will find a way to ruin next year before it even begins, I'm sure. But seriously, they need a manager with actual strategy. Chicago can be very successful, they are just missing a couple key pieces (and Amarikwa was one of them... silly trade)

Chicago will find a way to ruin next year before it even begins, I'm sure. But seriously, they need a manager with actual strategy. Chicago can be very successful, they are just missing a couple key pieces (and Amarikwa was one of them... silly trade)

In a certain sense, the Amarikwa trade makes sense. David Accam, Kennedy Igboanaike, and Mike Magee (when he's healthy) are all better strikers than Amarikwa. On paper Shaun Maloney was a better striker than Amarikwa too. With an excess amount of seemingly quality forwards there's no reason to keep an average striker like Amarikwa on the roster when you can trade him for someone to plug your holes elsewhere.

On the other hand, giving up Amarikwa for Ty Harden is just stupid. Ty Harden may be a player they needed, but for a decent forward like Amarikwa you should at least get a Ty Harden and something else, either another defender or allocation money or something. Competent forwards, even forwards that only score once every 3 games or so on the average, are worth a lot more than one below average center back. That said, Chicago has made dumber moves than this, in fact, given how dumb their ownership and GMs have been, I fully expect to see Sean Johnson traded for a cheesesteak in the offseason to Philadelphia were he will be given a new designated player contract right before he tears his ACL because the Union screw up even the best goalkeeper decisions somehow.

This will be the best assist you'll see in a long time.

https://streamable.com/bhs2

eNtlu1r.jpg

US U-23 team got a 3-1 victory vs Canada last night, fantastic stuff to see, even if it is Canada. Jordan Morris scored a brace during the game, one in both halfs, and Luis Gil buried a penalty shot. The win puts the US atop the Group A standings.

US U-23 team got a 3-1 victory vs Canada last night, fantastic stuff to see, even if it is Canada. Jordan Morris scored a brace during the game, one in both halfs, and Luis Gil buried a penalty shot. The win puts the US atop the Group A standings.

Watched the game on a Canadian stream on youtube, the color guy was beyond brutal. He was so sure Trapp's tackle was a yellow even though Trapp really barely committed a foul, but it took him 2 replays to admit the ref may have been right giving GIl's penalty when I could see it in the choppy youtube clip.

We looked the better side. Canada looked pretty good though. THey should make it pretty far in the tourney.

I'm really excited about a few guys on the team, watchign the game only solidified my excitement.

CCV looked like a machine most of the match. He made some bonkers smart plays. Miazga looked really good even if he got out of place once or twice. Steffan has mental game well beyond his years. Hyndman looked years more experienced in the MF. I think with him his worst case scenario is to be Mix Diskerud. Kiesewetter wasn't one I was really paying attention to before last night, he changed that. He was outstanding on the ball and a constant threat. His assist on the Morris goal was great and he had a few near chances himself.

I can't believe I forgot to watch the U-23 game. I truly think the US will bigger fish internationally in the next 5-8 years.

Coke, Visa, Bud (am I missing somebody?) are all asking for his resignation. Sepps lawyers are saying he won't... what a ****bag. Sooo is he going to pay for Qatar with his own money?

Kiesewetter wasn't one I was really paying attention to before last night, he changed that. He was outstanding on the ball and a constant threat. His assist on the Morris goal was great and he had a few near chances himself.
I agree, Kiesewetter made me pay attention to him.

But that Morris kid... I see a bright future for him.

Klinsmann named his 23 man vs Mexico

GK - Guzan, Howard, Rimando
DF - Alvarado, Beasley, Besler, Cameron, Evans, Johnson, Orozco, Ream, Spector
MF - Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Jones, WIlliams, Yedlin, Zusi
FW - Jozy, Dempsey, Wondo, Gyasi

Just a guess at the lineup

GK - Howard
RB - Fabian
CB - Besler
CB - Cameron
LB - Beasley (maybe Evans)
CDM - Jones
RM - Yedlin
LM - Zardes
CAM - Bradley
ST - Dempsey
ST - Jozy

Ah 6-1 dominant win for the US U-23s against Cuba, sure it's a match you expect them to win but it's nice to see that scoreline.

Klinsmann named his 23 man vs Mexico

GK - Guzan, Howard, Rimando
DF - Alvarado, Beasley, Besler, Cameron, Evans, Johnson, Orozco, Ream, Spector
MF - Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Jones, WIlliams, Yedlin, Zusi
FW - Jozy, Dempsey, Wondo, Gyasi

Just a guess at the lineup

GK - Howard
RB - Fabian
CB - Besler
CB - Cameron
LB - Beasley (maybe Evans)
CDM - Jones
RM - Yedlin
LM - Zardes
CAM - Bradley
ST - Dempsey
ST - Jozy

More or less the line up I would expect to see myself. Maybe a different center back pairing depending on what's going on in Klinsmann's head at the time.

Ah 6-1 dominant win for the US U-23s against Cuba, sure it's a match you expect them to win but it's nice to see that scoreline.

And it was a good team win too. Kiesewetter and Morris paired so damned well.

US also locked into the next round, They only need one point to lock up first place or Canada to draw Cuba. I want another thrashing of Panama and go through with 9 points.

Don't care who we face. I want you Mexico in the finals. Even though the win in the final doesn't matter I want to crush them. Even their U-23s I hate.

With a 3-1 loss today to Toronto, the Philadelphia Union are officially out of the MLS playoff hunt. Disclaimer: I like the Philadelphia Union, despite their continued failings, so this may be slightly biased. Let's assess their season, shall we?

One of the former "future" USMNT stars, Maurice Edu, plays for them and he could put in some minutes again at some point. Richie Marquez is a young (23 year old) centerback who could be good in a few years...though maybe not good enough to break in. Honestly, most of the Union's best players are foreign, however.

How are they out?
With two games left they are 8 points back.

What went wrong?
Well, let's start with the obvious, so obvious that it's basically a meme at this point: Rais Mbholi. For the second time in two seasons the Union horrifically bungled selection of a keeper, two years ago it was picking up a keeper as the first overall pick in Andre Blake, then having him sit for pretty much the whole season, they compounded the issue by bring in Mbholi for a huge (in MLS terms) pile of cash and then ditching him a mere third of the way through the season. Overall, the defense of Philadelphia has been horrible, outside of Edu (who has been injured frequently this year) and Marquez, they have a -11 goal differential! The Union were also plagued by injuries.

What went right?
Maidana was an excellent pick up, he's shown real promise and skill as a CAM, able to put the ball in the right place at the right time, he has 14 assists on the season behind only the atomic ant Giovinco. CJ Sapong continues to be a solid, if unspectacular left winger. Fernando Aristeguieta could be a great striker in MLS if he stays healthy.

Jim Curtin needs to hold the next GM's pet or child hostage and threaten to kill them in the Union pick up another goalkeeper, there's already 4(!) on their roster right now. Beyond that, much like Chicago, the Union are a team in a big market with a small fanbase, though unlike Chicago their fanbase is very loyal; the Union have already set up youth academies and from all I hear there's some real talent there, Jim Curtin (or whoever coaches at the time) needs to utilize those players. In the immediate future, the Union need to shore up their back line, when on the offensive they're great but the moment the ball turns around it's either a disaster or damn near one. With a high pick in the draft, the Union can pick up a high quality left or right back or a center back to pair with Marquiz. Beyond that, with their back up/sub strikers like Conor Casey and Sebastian Letoux beginning to show their age, they probably should pick up a young potential striker too. If the Union don't screw this up, they could be a dangerous eastern conference power.

Couple notes (even though the MLS night is not over):

- TFC still haven't clinched. Leave it to Montreal to ruin everything
- US U-23's down Cuba. Still liking Kiesewetter
- DC clinch in convincing fashion
- WHY THE ACTUAL F**K IS GONZALEZ NOT PLAY FOR THE YANKS AGAINST MEXICO?!

Holy ever-loving crap, does JK hate Omar? Is he a regular poster on /r/soccer and /r/ussoccer?! His excuse is that Gonzo's form is lacking at the moment. A) No it isn't, and even if it was, less than world-class is still pretty f**king good!, and B) ALVARADO PLAYED ONE FREAKING MATCH FOR CLUB AMERICA IN SEPTEMBER! ONE!

And where's the "proactive soccer"? Not a whole lot of playmakers in there. It's a good thing our rehearsal dinner is that night so I have an excuse to be drunk and emotional.

I kind of agree with him on Omar Gonzalez, actually, though I'm not so keen on Alvarado as he is. For me, it's more that Omar Gonzalez tends to have one or two moments per game where he simply makes the wrong decision in spectacular fashion. Overall Gonzalez is fantastic though. As for the proactive soccer, for this match at least, I think tinker time is over; the line up isn't what I'd like to see in the long term but it should be good enough to get us to the Confederations Cup as long as everyone plays well.

I kind of agree with him on Omar Gonzalez, actually, though I'm not so keen on Alvarado as he is. For me, it's more that Omar Gonzalez tends to have one or two moments per game where he simply makes the wrong decision in spectacular fashion.

You know, I will absolutely give you that. But he hasn't done that for the G's in a long time... I think all he needs is some consistency on the national stage. His involvement has been so spotty.

More Premier League fun. Mourinho is classy as always. "Don't sack me, it's the officials' fault that we're losing, they're harder on us than the other teams". Brendan Rodgers may yet live to see another day (or at least, he's not guaranteed walking papers, who knows). Everything else went pretty much as expected, although a Gooner/Man U draw would have been helpful (or better yet, an asteroid). And Harry scores again. Just in the wrong goal. Oops. Eriksen proves his worth again, twice off of free kicks, and after a lot of back and forth and blown chances from both sides, I'll settle for the draw against Swansea.

Ok, maybe not. My Liverpool supporting friend was right, they'd keep Brendan Rodgers on until after Everton and then he was gone. Sure enough, sacked.

So, with the wild weekend of MLS action on Sunday, the Colorado Rapids became the first team in the west to go out, let's do a post mortem on this mess, shall we?

Dillon Powers was once some of the hottest USMNT young prospects and could be again under the right coach. Dillon Serna, Carlos Alvarez and Caleb Calvert could all be good attacking prospects in the not so distant future. Clint Irwin is a good US-born goalkeeper, and in a few years he could get a look from the USMNT. In short, lots of young talent.

How are they out?
With three games to go they need at least 10 points.

What went wrong?
In short, they implemented a system ten years too late. Under Pablo Mastroeni the Rapids implemented a system designed to defend first, primarily composed of veteran MLS players. Ten years ago, hell probably even five years ago, this could have won you an MLS cup if you got things right, but in the modern MLS there's too much offensive firepower and speed to play this sort of game and get positive results. The Rapids didn't lose by much, but they lost much more often than they won.

What went right?
Kevin Doyle is an excellent mid season pick up that is already scoring goals, often with his head. Clint Irwin continues to be a good keeper. Dillon Powers continues to play well, though not as well as he did when he won rookie of the year. Not a whole lot though.

Well, I'm tempted to just say fire Pablo Mastroeni, in the last two years the Rapids have slumped further and further down the table after all. But, it is possible that Mastroeni's hands are tied, the Rapids' ownership is notoriously difficult and controlling. Whoever it is that's really calling the shots, they need to wake up and realize that trotting out the old guys to try to bunker in and counter simply won't work anymore in the modern era. If you're going to be a small market team (and make no mistake, Colorado is the smallest of the small markets in MLS due to competition and lack of interest) you must utilize youth talent to the maximum and only sparingly put in some high quality veterans. If the Rapids want to see an example of how to do it right, all they have to do is look at where their old coach went, Dallas' roster is just slightly more expensive than the Rapids' roster but it's an example of how to do things right. Most of the players are young, and the handful of veterans are guys with great touches and great knowledge who do things to set the young players free so they can run at defenses and cause opposing defenders to panic. The most frustrating thing about Colorado is that they are sitting upon a gold mine of young talent, and utilize almost none of it. The draft will give Colorado more young talent, as they're almost certainly getting a top 3 pick, the Rapids need to get a coach who can and will utilize young talent and do so well if they want to get out of the basement.

Landon Donovan thinks that Jurgen Klinsmann should be fired if he loses the Confederations Cup playoff.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/10/06/landon-donovan-jurgen-klinsmann-usa-mexico

I'd have to say that I strongly disagree, if the US lose it's the culmination of a bad few months, but international soccer is a game measured in 4 year chunks and the the previous three years has been mostly positive. I think Klinsmann should get another World Cup cycle before being assessed, especially since there really isn't a better coach realistically available, I think.

Landon Donovan thinks that Jurgen Klinsmann should be fired if he loses the Confederations Cup playoff.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/10/06/landon-donovan-jurgen-klinsmann-usa-mexico

I'd have to say that I strongly disagree, if the US lose it's the culmination of a bad few months, but international soccer is a game measured in 4 year chunks and the the previous three years has been mostly positive. I think Klinsmann should get another World Cup cycle before being assessed, especially since there really isn't a better coach realistically available, I think.

Honestly my opinion of him, his tactics, and his PR has gone severely downhill since he released the lineup against Belgium. I would be okay with a fresh face to start the qualifying cycle. Petke, anybody?

Back