EKG and Fuggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
Help needed in Thailand,again:eek:
So,I have ,or will have next week,4oz each of EKG and Fuggle and need an idea for an extract brew with maybe additional brown/caramel sugar.
Cheers in advance,Lee.:tank:

Do a Strong Bitter:

OG: 1.045-1.050
IBU: 25-30
13 SRM - red to brown

5 lb Muntons LME
6 oz crystal 40 (steeped)
6 oz crystal 120 (steeped)
8 oz brown sugar/caramel/panela/whatever (boil with extract)

1.5oz Fuggles @ 60
1.5oz EKG @ 10
S-04 dry yeast, ferment at 65-67F

Optional: use the remaining 1oz hops as dry hops if you want that extra hop flavor

hmmmm... EKG and Fuggles, my favorite hop profile...
if you want just extract, I used to make the following back in the late 1980's, pretty dang good for what it is...

for a 5-gallon batch:

"Original Hog Drool Ale"
6.66-pounds of light LME
1-pound dark DME
0.25-pounds dark brown sugar

1.5-oz Fuggles 60-min.
1-oz EKG 60-min
1-oz EKG 10-min.
0.5-oz Fuggles at flame out.

I used Edme dry ale yeast back then.... either S-04 or Notty should do the trick.

ceannt, cheers,it sounds good.
But could I up the brown sugar as I only have access to one non-descript generic LME?
I will be using Morgans Australian ale yeast,as that's what the family send me and it works well at our temps here in Thailand.

Hey badlee, yes you could bump up the brown sugar, but it will finish rather dry....
I used to use two cans of John Bull LME, and a pound of the dark dry Malt... the O.G. was around 1.059, so you could always just make a lower gravity version... but it will be darker... good luck.

Ceannt,dark is good as far as I am concerned!
Thanks for the advice.How does this sound?
2.350kg of dark LME(that's what I have left)
0.500kg of light brown sugar
0.500kg of dark brown sugar
0.100kg of honey
23litres using Morgans Aus, Ale yeast
1.5-oz Fuggles 60-min.
1-oz EKG 60-min
1-oz EKG 10-min.
0.5-oz Fuggles at flame out.

I don't know buddy, that's like 32% sugars..... I would try to keep it more like 10%... maximum.
But, if you want to go with what you have.... I would cut your batch size down (up the gravity) say to 20-liters (read less water)... and only do the bittering hop addition, should be very Rum-like. Just let it ferment longer than normal....

OK,mate.
So how about 20litres and half the sugars(250gr of each)?
What kind of colour would I get from that do you think?
What do you mean only do the bittering hop addition=leave out the 10 min and flame out addition?
Cheers ceannt,Lee.

I was just thinking that with all that sugar it will ferment out very dry.... there wouldn't be enough body/sweetness to balance an aggressive late hop addition. So you could just glorify in the dryness, bump up the gravity (maybe even double the honey) and make what is basically a Braggott...

Back