cold-crashing with fast yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I recently bought some stuff and meant to buy 05, but bought 04 instead. I'm trying to cold-crash a cider I am about to start today. Is it going to be too hard to catch it before its fermented out? I also have nottingham. Which one should I use? All I've heard about nottingham is that it goes through fermentables like Homer Simpson through a case of donuts, and that 04 flocculates real quick.

If this is too difficult I'll just wait until I have 05.

Yes, but any idea how fast will it take 5 gallons of apple juice to 1.008?

Grab a hydrometer and check it periodically. Depending on all sorts of factors, you're probably looking at 1-2 weeks with 04 and apple juice. But there are too many variables affecting ferment time to be sure of what your setup produces. Just get a hydrometer and take some samples.

Grab a hydrometer and check it periodically. Depending on all sorts of factors, you're probably looking at 1-2 weeks with 04 and apple juice. But there are too many variables affecting ferment time to be sure of what your setup produces. Just get a hydrometer and take some samples.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure that I'd have some time. Also, thanks Rukus for that chart. Looks like I have a solid week where I don't have to check.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure that I'd have some time. Also, thanks Rukus for that chart. Looks like I have a solid week where I don't have to check.

Rex, your very welcome. I posted the info to help others as I was a newb and trying to detail what I was seeing. I didn't add temperature to the data however. This initialy started at 63 to 65 degrees and I moved it up to my kitchen which was 68 fairly constant. Temperature will have a big impact on time.

Back