Simple single tier with high pressure propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been absorbing all the great single-tier and Brutus builds on this site, and decided to start my own. I'm sure many parts will look familiar from various builds. I'm not going with any automation initially, but don't want to preclude it in the future. For now, I just want to be able to brew on it with the no more effort than I currently do with my ghetto process.

I don't want to cut corners, but don't want to spend more than necessary for components. I'm trying one of the Chugger pumps, BG-10 burners, etc. Doing all the welding and fabrication myself.

I've selected the BG-10 burners, and the Bayou high pressure regulator (0-30 psi). I plan on mostly batch sparging, but still purchased and installed three burners (thanks to Amazon's 4 for 3 deal). I've also got all the fittings for the black pipe. I'm stuck on the valves. So far, the only ones I've seen mentioned or even found in a Google search seem to be like this. It seems to be assumed (from other threads) that these are "high pressure" valves, but there are no specs to indicate it. Other sites that sell the same valves are also lacking any info.

When I go to the local hardware store, they have "gas" valves, but the fine print indicates they're only tested to 1/2 psi. I purchased three of the flexible yellow gas lines that I've seen on many other builds, and when reading the insert saw that they, too, indicate use with household pressure of 1/2 psi. Are people using these with high pressure burners successfully and safely? What about valves? It sure seems to me that even a low-pressure brass valve would be able to handle say 15 psi. I'd certainly be interested in others' experience.

I'm not sure how to upload pics here - but here's a link to some on KodakGallery.

Thanks in advance for any input.

You need to put your pics somewhere where people don't have to create an account and sign in. Photobucket, Google Pics, etc. - there are lots of free places where you don't have to register to see them.

Latest posts

Back