stuck fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lombo34

Reaction score
So, I brewed a batch of the Cascades Orange Pale on Monday...and cooled it to about 90 on Monday night...covered and airlocked, and let cool further overnight. Pitched yeast (US-05) on Tuesday morning. Was bubbling okay and seemed to be going well...but 2 straight days of HOT weather, and I'm worried that it's messed w/ the yeast. I don't exactly know what temp the room got to during the day as I was working, but I'm really not seeing much action from the blowoff. I've since kicked on the AC in the room, and set it on 67 just to be safe...but should I repitch?? let it be?? other??

I don't see any reason to lead you to believe you have a stuck fermentation. You're talking about airlock bubbling and lack of...It really just means that there is no excess co2 that needs to be released right now, or it is venting elsewhere, more than likely the active aspect of fermentation has wound down and it doesn't need to vent any more...it doesn't mean fermentation has stopped or anything like that.

Your airlock is a valve, a vent to bleed off excess co2 to keep from painting your ceiling with beer, nothing else.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading, NOT go by airlocks. The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It;'s the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" without taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?

In your case, wait till it's been 10 days and take a reading, just because it's not blowing off, dosen't mean that the little buggers aren't still doing what needs to be done.

Back