Deschutes Twilight Ale recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the website:

5.0% abv
35 IBU

Uses 4 hops, but uses Amarillo hops for aroma, likely as the dry hop.

Another website said:
Twilight Ale is a straw-colored ale with a vigorous hop essence and a subtle, wafer-like body that complements the flavor of this special seasonal brew. It is a unique blend of four hops and malts: Cara-Pils and Carastan malts with the late addition of whole flower Amarillo, Cascade and Tettnang hops.

I wonder if there might be a little biscuit malt in it as well.

Here is what I came up with on BeerTools. I love this beer and its the only hop forward beer my wife likes. I pick up Amarillo and Tettanger in the aroma more than Cascade, so the Cascade is at 30 for flavor. Deschutes uses Horizon and/or Magnum for bittering in many other beers, so I figured Magnum would be a good choice. They use English Ale yeast for most brews, so I would go with Wyeast 1968 or WLP 002. For a drier finish you could use American Ale yeast too. I would mash at 152-153 for a decent mid-range body. I use whole hops, so this recipe is formulated as such.

Original Gravity: 1.051
Terminal Gravity: 1.012
Color: 6.89
Alcohol: 5.0%
Bitterness: 35 IBU

Ingredients:
9.5 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
0.5 lb Carapils®/Carafoam®
0.5 lb Carastan 30-37
.4 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.4 oz Cascade (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.5 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min (Whirlfloc)
1 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Hey guys, I am looking forward to trying this recipe.

Has anyone brewed this yet?

I was thinking about using WLP023 due to the fruit/honey notes, which is not in the commercial version but I thought that might taste good.

Any thoughts?

Kevin, I brewed a beer with only Amarillo as a late hop with Wyeast 1882, which one might consider a close relative to WLP023, thinking that any fruity esters would compliment that hop. I thought it turned out well and dropped rather clear. I used 3.5 oz/5 gallon in one 15 minute addition.

Kevin, I brewed a beer with only Amarillo as a late hop with Wyeast 1882, which one might consider a close relative to WLP023, thinking that any fruity esters would compliment that hop. I thought it turned out well and dropped rather clear. I used 3.5 oz/5 gallon in one 15 minute addition.

Thanks.
I kind of like the idea of the late hop addition, I think I may also dry hop an oz or so with 1/2 oz of Tett maybe(for spiciness and because I have some lying around):)

I'm looking to brew up a Twilight clone. Figured I'd resurrect this thread to see if anyone has attempted it yet.

Here is what I came up with on BeerTools. I love this beer and its the only hop forward beer my wife likes. I pick up Amarillo and Tettanger in the aroma more than Cascade, so the Cascade is at 30 for flavor. Deschutes uses Horizon and/or Magnum for bittering in many other beers, so I figured Magnum would be a good choice. They use English Ale yeast for most brews, so I would go with Wyeast 1968 or WLP 002. For a drier finish you could use American Ale yeast too. I would mash at 152-153 for a decent mid-range body. I use whole hops, so this recipe is formulated as such.

Ingredients:
0.5 lb Carastan 30-37
1 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

I really want to give this recipe a shot, but I am still in the extract brewing stage, and, for that matter, new to brewing altogether. This is one of the better summer ales out there, in my oppinion, and I would like to have it ready for the season. What would be a good extract recipe equivalent to this? Here is what I am thinking (please go easy, this is my first shot at a recipe conversion):

Same weight of carapils and carastan, but use as steeping grains
6.33 lbs of Briesse Pilsen DME
same hopping procedure, and Wyeast 1968

Any thoughts?

Also, what would the conversion be for pellet hops? I can't seem to find Magnums in whole form, even though I live in the hop capital of the US...go figure.:mug:

Hey Recycle Guy, I think your extract conversion would be right on. As for the Magnum pellets, I think the conversion is -10% for pellets, so around .35 oz at 60 min. Please let me know how this turns out if you do it. I never actually brewed this beer-got too busy doing other beers, but I plan to try this for the spring.

Cheers, Tim

p.s. If you really want some whole Magnum, hopsdirect out your way has them on the cheap: http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/domestic-leaf-hops.html

I was hoping to brew the Twilight Ale as well, but I was wondering if I could use an extra pale LME from AHS instead of the Pilsen. If so, would anyone be able to offer a converted recipe for an extract and/or a partial mash for this brew? Also, would you need to add any base grain or change the amount of specialty grain?

Thanks for any help and looking forward to a nice summer ale!

I was hoping to brew the Twilight Ale as well, but I was wondering if I could use an extra pale LME from AHS instead of the Pilsen. If so, would anyone be able to offer a converted recipe for an extract and/or a partial mash for this brew? Also, would you need to add any base grain or change the amount of specialty grain?

Thanks for any help and looking forward to a nice summer ale!

Yes, extra pale extract would work fine. My opinion is that DME works better than LME in lighter gravity recipes. DME seems to attenuate better and leaves a drier, cleaner end product. So, I would use dry malt extract if you have the option. See the extract conversion from page 1 of this thread, and you should be good to go.

Just wanted to post an update on the extract conversion. I bottled my first attempt yesterday, and took a little taste test - it was awesome! It certainly will be a great refreshing summer beer. Twilight isn't fresh enough on my mind to say it is cloned, but it should be ready right around the time Deschutes releases it - perfect timing for a side-by-side. I tweaked the recipe a little from the one I posted before, here it is:

================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 3.000 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.3%
Bitterness: 30.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 5 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Pilsen Dry Extract Extract 6.000 lb
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 8.000 oz
Carastan 30-37 Grain 8.000 oz

Hops
Magnum 12.1% 0.750 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 19.2
Cascade 5.5% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 4.5
Tettnang 4.8% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 2.5
Amarillo 10.2% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Leaf 3.9
Amarillo 10.2% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 7.000 day Leaf 0.0

Yeast
Wyeast - London Ale III Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

I spaced it and missed the IBUs (should be 35), but I think it should taste pretty darn close, based on my memory of last summer's Twilight.

I kegged mine 2 weeks ago and it turned out great. Perfect for summer. I did not have the actual brew to compare but from my memory, this recipe is spot on. Only problem, it is already gone and summer has not arrived.

Thanks for the link, I am proud to say I got pretty darned close, just did not guess the Northern Brewer. I am finally going to brew this in the next week!

From Deschutes:
A Summer Thirst Quencher
Twilight Summer Ale
SPECIFICS
Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.046-1.054
Final gravity: 1.011-1.017
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale
MALT
NW 2-row Pale Malt
Carastan Malt
Dextrin Malt
HOPS
Cascade
Tettnanger
Amarillo
Northern Brewer

------------------------My version--------------------

Twilight Ale Clone

Ingredients:
0.5 lb Carastan 30-37
1 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - added dry to secondary fermenter[/QUOTE]
Wyeast 1968 or 1098

Doh! 5 months later......Yes! it was outstanding! I did not do a direct comparison. But very good. Told a friend it was a Twilight, and he did not even react. He just kept drinking pints of "Twilight".

The Deshutes web site also mentions that brambling cross is in this brew.

I am going to try the above recipe with the addition of that hop for aroma and dry.

Curious about two things, so I'm resurrecting this thread again. One, did the Bramling cross come out well? Two, if Deschutes listed Northern Brewer, why not use it in place of the Magnum in TimBrewz recipe?

Deschutes like to use Northern Brewer. If you check out the "homebrew" section of the website, it seems to show up in almost every beer. I don't generally keep that hop on hand, so I just brewed with what I had. So, yeah, bittering with NB might get you closer to a clone. Interesting that they now include Brambling Cross in the recipe.

BUMP....its summer and ive been drinking a lot of this beer. Would love to hear if anyone has a definitive recipe that includes the brambling cross and munich malt listed on Deschutes website. Very curious and excited to try brewing it, I recommend anyone who hasnt sampled it to do so, very refreshing. Thanks.

Nope just the one try for me. Brambling Cross is just way off my radar. I use NW grown hops for all my beers these days.

Carastan is 30-37 SRM British crystal. Very nice malt in small doses. Personally I would not use biscuit in place of crystal in a clone if this beer. I get more caramel/bready than biscuit in the pallet. I think the flavor is as much from the yeast as the malt, 002/1968 gives a nice bready finish.

Just putting in my 2 cents on this one. Just yesterday I brewed my 3rd batch of this, mainly because it is such a beautifully hoppy sessionable IPA. The second time I brewed it, I switched to Citra hops for the dry hopping and it was equally awesome, if not maybe a touch more so. I came in pretty close to the 1.051 each time (yesterdays batch was 1.054) so it should be another keeper. I highly recommend trying this one, it's definitely in my rotating batch of best beers.

So I just posted 3 pics of my version vs the original. Mine is on the left and I'm happy to say the clearer of the 2. And honestly I like mine better. This time I used 1oz each Mosaic and Amarillo to dry hop so mine is happier but in a citrusy way. Amazing, I'm so so happy I switched to all-grain.

Was looking for a Summer beer to brew and found this as a recommendation on crafted pours. I top cropped some WLP005 from an English IPA I brewed earlier this month so I will try it with that.
I also have some low colour British crystal malt from Warminster.
It has a colour of about 40L so it should be similar to carastan.

All I need to decide is if I make a close-as-possible clone and stick with just Amarillo as the dry hop or maybe add some Mosaic too. :cool:

I just made my 2016 version of this with Simcoe to bitter, then all Amarillo. Its really great. I used Imperial Organic Yeast "House" strain which is WLP 007/Wyeast 1098.

I just made my 2016 version of this with Simcoe to bitter, then all Amarillo. Its really great. I used Imperial Organic Yeast "House" strain which is WLP 007/Wyeast 1098.

Sounds tasty.
I'm still planning my spring/summer brew schedule, starting in the middle of May I'm "trying" to limit it to 6 five gallon beers.
A more sessionable Raging *****, Raspberry Wheat, Hopfen Weisse, Centennial Blonde and a Fresh Squeezed IPA will be the first 5.

The last one will be a Twilight or a Daisy Cutter.

Before the time comes I will probably have discovered another 5 great recipes and change my mind about 10 times :drunk:

Same grain bill as first page of thread?
What's the Amarillo schedule?

Same grain bill as first page of thread?
What's the Amarillo schedule?

CC Summer Ale
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Tim
Date: 3/21/16

Size: 13.0 gal
Efficiency: 82.0%
Attenuation: 76.0%
Calories: 170.47 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 6.63 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.11% (4.5% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 31.3 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
20.5 lb Standard 2-Row
1.25 lb Carastan® Malt
1. lb Cara-Pils® Malt
.5 oz Simcoe® (13.7%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
3.0 oz Amarillo® (7.7%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3.0 oz Amarillo® (7.7%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
3.0 oz Amarillo® (7.7%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
3.0 ea WYeast 1098 Imperial House Strain (007/1098

Notes
Mash 154
Hop Stand for 20 min at 180f- calculated at 7% utilization - same as 5 minute boil.
Ferment at 67F
Dry Hop at end of primary

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

CC Summer Ale

10-A American Pale Ale

Author: Tim

Date: 3/21/16

Size: 13.0 gal

Efficiency: 82.0%

Attenuation: 76.0%

Calories: 170.47 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.045 - 1.060)

Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)

Color: 6.63 (5.0 - 14.0)

Alcohol: 5.11% (4.5% - 6.0%)

Bitterness: 31.3 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:

20.5 lb Standard 2-Row

1.25 lb Carastan[emoji768] Malt

1. lb Cara-Pils[emoji768] Malt

.5 oz Simcoe[emoji768] (13.7%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min

3.0 oz Amarillo[emoji768] (7.7%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min

3.0 oz Amarillo[emoji768] (7.7%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min

3.0 oz Amarillo[emoji768] (7.7%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

3.0 ea WYeast 1098 Imperial House Strain (007/1098

Notes

Mash 154

Hop Stand for 20 min at 180f- calculated at 7% utilization - same as 5 minute boil.

Ferment at 67F

Dry Hop at end of primary

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Awesome ... Thanks!
Looks quite tasty.

First pull of mine off the keg this afternoon. Exactly what I was hoping for.
Not intended to be a Twilight clone, simply "inspired by".

5.5 gallon batch
9# 2-row
1# munich
8 oz carapils
5.3 oz C40

WLP007

1 oz Northern Brewer FWH
1 Mosaic 10
.5 Summit 5
1 Mosaic Whirlpool
1.5 Summit Whirlpool

1.5 Amarillo Dryhop
1.5 Mosaic Dryhop

1.053 --> 1.012
5.39 percent
56 IBU
5.6 SRM

2016-06-25 14.34.44.jpg

First pull of mine off the keg this afternoon. Exactly what I was hoping for.
Not intended to be a Twilight clone, simply "inspired by".

5.5 gallon batch
9# 2-row
1# munich
8 oz carapils
5.3 oz C40

WLP007

1 oz Northern Brewer FWH
1 Mosaic 10
.5 Summit 5
1 Mosaic Whirlpool
1.5 Summit Whirlpool

1.5 Amarillo Dryhop
1.5 Mosaic Dryhop

1.053 --> 1.012
5.39 percent
56 IBU
5.6 SRM

Looks great.

Must say I never though of a Summit/Mosaic hop combination before.
Do they go well together?
Or is it a case of "Mosaic tastes great with everything"? :p

Shenanigans,

Completely a random substitution. Went LHBS to pick up grain and Amarillo as I was planning to make something a little more along the lines of what Tim Brews did, just a Mosaic/Amarillo combo. But they were out of Amarillo. So, a quick Google of "Amarillo hop substitute" while there brought up Cascade, Centennial, Summit and Ahtanum. I've never used Summit, so why not?
I've read everything from orange to pepper to grapefruit to tangerine. I'm getting a little more tangerine on the first couple of pints.
But, yes, the decision to try something new was made easier knowing it was going with Mosaic.

Back