First Brew report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Gordon_Freeman

Reaction score
Recipe: Northern Brewer Phat Tyre extract kit
OG: 1.052, exactly as called for in instructions
Yeast: Wyeast Belgian Abbey II
Temp hovering around 65-70 deg F

I just took my first gravity reading of the beer since I put it in the fermenter. It's had 16 days in so far and is at 1.017. I must say even this early and without carbonation it tastes almost exactly like my tastebuds remember Fat Tire to be! Perhaps it's slightly lighter in body and color.

I know it's just my first reading, but I thought that the FG would end up lower. There isn't any activity in the fermenter, so I doubt it will drop too much from here. I swirled the fermenter a bit to stir up the yeasties, and am planning to wait another week.

If it remains at this gravity after another week, should I be concerned about bottle bombs and such? Do some beers just not go below this gravity level by nature?

What did the recipe call for as a FG? 1.017 may or may not be a tad high, but it's low enough that if you continue to let it sit for another week and it doesn't move you should be just fine for bottling and not worrying about bottle bombs.

What did the recipe call for as a FG? 1.017 may or may not be a tad high, but it's low enough that if you continue to let it sit for another week and it doesn't move you should be just fine for bottling and not worrying about bottle bombs.

No FG is specified, but it does say "apparent attenuation 73-77%" for the yeast

What FG does your kit say it should finish out at?

Activity in the fermentor isnt the best indicator for fermentaion. Take another reading in a couple days and see if its changed. When it stops, its done.

Bottlebombs are a product of the amount of sugar you add for carbonation and premature beer bottling. Just do another reading and see where your at just be sure to add the proper amount of sugar.

Beers can finish lower. It's all about the yeast and its ability to ferment.

Hope this info helps:D

Steve

1.017 is not bad at all for an extract kit. Let it go at least 3 weeks in the fermenter and than 3 weeks in the bottle. You'll be alright.

Based on the attenuation specs for the yeast, I would think your estimated FG is around 1.013 (52 - (52 X .75)).

+1 to leaving it for another 5 days, even though the reading may not change. This will give the yeast that much more time to clean up after the party they threw in your wort and may get you those few extra points, whether you see activity or not.

I just kegged up my first AG FT clone, and I was ready to drink it straight out of the fermenter. Should be really tasty one it carbs up in a couple of weeks.

Welcome to the obsession.

Enjoy!

After 16 days I don't think your FG is going to change.
I keg my beer after 2 weeks and carb it for a third and start drinking it there after.

Pat

I am potentially in a similar situation. Under what circumstances is it acceptable to pitch another batch of yeast?

It depends on a lot of issues:

What type of yeast did you use?
Is this an extract recipe?
How many gravity points are you from FG?
How long has it been fermenting?
What temperature is it fermenting at?

These are some of the questions I would consider prior to thinking about pitching more yeast.

Superior Strong Ale extract kit from Midwest. 6 lb. Amber liquid malt extract, 3.3 lb. Dark liquid malt extract, 2 oz. Mt. Hood bittering hops, 1 oz. Tettnang aroma hops, 8 oz. Crystal 40°L malt, 8 oz. British Brown malt specialty grains

Last gravity reading was 1.022 after 9 days of fermentation at 67 degF.

OG = 1.067
Expected FG = 1.014-1.018
Yeast = 1 pack muntons and a smackpack of Wyeast Propogator 1056 (I stupidly did not make a starter, so I pitched both types of yeast)

After 16 days I don't think your FG is going to change.

Pat

Pat is almost certainly dead-on correct about this, but take a sample and measure a couple more days and make sure.

I assume you are going to bottle?

Half-Life FTW!

I've been playing HL since it came out. I've moved on to HL mods now. I've played CS, DoD, and my current favorite is Insurgency.

Welcome to family, btw.

Half-Life FTW!

I've been playing HL since it came out. I've moved on to HL mods now. I've played CS, DoD, and my current favorite is Insurgency.

Welcome to family, btw.

Awesome man. I can't wait for HL2 episode 3 (will they ever release it!?) and Portal 2.

I don't mod though, I'm a console gamer...

Superior Strong Ale extract kit from Midwest. 6 lb. Amber liquid malt extract, 3.3 lb. Dark liquid malt extract, 2 oz. Mt. Hood bittering hops, 1 oz. Tettnang aroma hops, 8 oz. Crystal 40°L malt, 8 oz. British Brown malt specialty grains

Last gravity reading was 1.022 after 9 days of fermentation at 67 degF.

OG = 1.067
Expected FG = 1.014-1.018
Yeast = 1 pack muntons and a smackpack of Wyeast Propogator 1056 (I stupidly did not make a starter, so I pitched both types of yeast)

If you have control of your fermentation temps start raising it a degree a day until it reaches 70 deg. and it might drop a point or two.
If you must I would sprinkle a pack of muntons on top and give it a gentle swirl.

Pat

Bottled today at the same FG as three days ago. I only added 1/2 C. table sugar just to be safe. The brew doesn't call for very heavy carbonation anyway.

I must also say that using a bottling bucket and a filling wand made it very easy. In the past I had filled bottles of my homemade wine straight out of the carboy by siphoning! Now that was a chore. I usually got pretty drunk though!

One additional note-- I really wish I had more 1qt. bombers! That would simplify things immensely. Time to drink some Carta Blanca while I wait!

Opened my first bottle (yeah I know it's early, who cares!) I figured I just HAD to RDWHAHB since I am brewing my second batch tonight :)

This is an amazing amber ale. One of the best beers I've ever had, who knows if it's because it's mine. Does it really matter? I love it!

I'm gonna let the rest carb for another week before I chill, this one was fizzy but there was not as much head as I think it will have with more carb time.

Cheers, HBT! :mug:

Latest posts

Back