Am I a beer snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great_Neck_Brewer

Reaction score
I just came back from vacation from a state that brews wonderful craft beers.
While I was there I was able to sample a lot of these local craft brews however, every time I ordered a beer, they never gave me a glass. I felt kind of funny always having to ask for one. The waitresses gave me funny looks like I was asking for blood. I don't know, I'm just used to drinking beer from a glass to fully appreciate any beer. Am I wrong?

Any craft brewer that knows their stuff will serve their brews with glassware. If you consistently got service that snubbed the use of glasses, then you were just unfortunate to have wait staff that a) didn't know better, and/or b) didn't care.

Next time someone brings you a good craft beer (ie not BMC, that stuff you definitely want in a bottle cause you don't want to smell it) in a bottle and gives you a funny look when you ask for a glass, you should sarcastically reply "Would you drink wine out of a bottle?". Although irritating, I can understand when you go to the low end bar to get a beer in a bottle. But in a good restaurant or in a good brew pub, that's inexcusable. It's alright by me to be a dick about it. It's your god given right to not only taste your beer, but to smell it too. :mug:

Brew pub would not be serving their beer in bottles ;)

Yeah, I've never been in a brew pub that didn't serve their beer in glasses. Sorry about coming off so angry. Although the standing of beer has improved by leaps and bounds, beer is still not perceived as having the same class as wine. Outside of brew pubs, there are definitely stigmas associated with drinking beer. But if beer drinkers continuously demand quality beers with appropriate glassware when they go out, establishments will adapt. :D

Rule of thumb.... if beer is darker than your piss, it deserves a glass! :)

A good place will not only ALWAYS serve in a glass, but will have the right glass for each beer you order.

I was at a dive bar Friday night, waiting to join my wife and friends for dinner down the block, had a High Life, asked for a glass, no problem. Being nice goes a long way. Ended up having some nice conversation and fun with the folks around me.

My folks own a brewpub, and I can tell you with confidence, a clean cold glass is served with every beer that comes in a bottle or a can, they let the customer decide whether or not they want the glass.

There's nothing snobbish about asking for a glass for your beverage, regardless of what it is. If you ordered a Pepsi and they just brought you a can or a bottle you wouldn't be a "Pepsi Snob" for asking for glassware.

Now you may actually be a complete beer ********* for all I know, but simply asking for a glass isn't grounds for conviction.

The wine bottle comment posted earlier is spot on!! If your throwing back PBR's at a local VFW, sure.. keepthe bottle in your hand(nothing wrong with a good cold PBR btw!)but I do agree, if the waitstaff is educated about beer and the entire experience a beer can provide to the drinker, they should give you the option of a bottle, can or glass. I bet hands down had you asked the server, which may or may not be her fault, about the beer you were drinking, you could have gotten a" oh its a dark beer" or "im not sure let me ask the bartender". If a bar or brewery is going to have a waitstaff and not a grab your own from the bartender scenario, they need to keep their waitstaff educated about the what their serving. Just another instance of beer taking a backseat to wine!!

My folks own a brewpub, and I can tell you with confidence, a clean cold glass is served with every beer that comes in a bottle or a can, they let the customer decide whether or not they want the glass.

Why cold?

Do they not want you to taste the beer?

Why cold?

Do they not want you to taste the beer?

A cold glass is alright; a frozen one is not.

When I have room in the beer fridge I will store some pint glasses in there. It neither warms or cools the beer being poured. Sometimes because my beer fridge is kept at perfect beer serving temps if I pour into a room temp glass it warms up just a little too fast and by the end of the pint its a bit warmer than my liking.

I think you are only really a beer snob when you feel the need to impress everyone around you with your knowledge of and taste in beer.

I'm gonna give the cold glass a try. That never occurred to me, actually. I always thought it was either frozen glass or room temperature glass.

Take your bottle of beer and shut up. Why give the wait staff any more reason to spit on your plate or worse, cockswab the glass before they bring it to you.
AP

Unless you have done something else to piss them off, I doubt a simple request for a glass will put them over the edge.

Take your bottle of beer and shut up. Why give the wait staff any more reason to spit on your plate or worse, cockswab the glass before they bring it to you.
AP

LOL. Not sure asking for a glass falls into that category, but I do agree on one point. That is, never, and I do mean never, piss off people who will be handling your food. If I'm ever anywhere where some disagreement has escalated beyond a certain point prior to the food being within my view, I leave and go somewhere else. I'd never eat anything given to me by someone who I'd pissed off, deserved or not. I'm just saying.

Oh I'm sorry, is it wrong to ask them to do their damn job?

Don't get me wrong: I'm probably the nicest person they'll have had all day. I never raise a fuss and I generally tip 20%. But as long as I'm not a dick about ordering it ('Uh, I'm sorry, but this is high quality beer and requires a glass') I don't see what the problem is. If there's no ketchup on the table should I eat my fries dry and shut up? How about if I get the wrong meal, or onions when I asked for them to be taken off? I'll fulfill my half of the interaction -- be nice and give you money -- and you fulfill yours -- be nice and serve me what I ordered -- okay?

Back