Input on Extract to All Grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
My brew buddy has an extract house brown ale recipe that he brews often. He enjoys it very much and is interested in stepping up to all-grain. He wnats to be sure that he can still brew his house brown so that it tastes as good as his current extract recipe. I have taken the challenge of attempting to brew this recipe all grain. Looking for input on my first attempt at conversion.

Extract recipe:
6# Wheat LME
1# Crystal 20 (steeped)
2 cups Chocolate Malt (steeped)
1/2oz Fuggles at 30, 10, & 2
Wyeast 1056

All-grain Recipe:
6# 2-row
2# Wheat malt
1# Crystal 20
1/2# Chocolate wheat (leftover from previous batch)
1oz fuggles 60
1/2oz fuggles 10
1/2oz fuggles 2
S-04
Mash around 155ish?

So what do you think? I'm sure it won't be spot on first try, but I hope I can get it close enough to challenge him to jusmp aboard the AG train and perfect it himself!

This beer tastes sweet but light. It a very sessionable for a brown ale. I assume that is because he always brews it with the wheat LME. Very little hops detected in the taste or nose. Those are just some tasting notes off the top of my head. Thanks!

Leaving everything else constant, i would use a higher percentage of wheat since wheat extract is roughly 60/40 wheat/2-row. try using 5.5lb wheat, 2.5lb 2-row or something to that extent.

Back