Two Shank Questions(Kegfridge)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
Ok i'm finally setting up my keg fridge. I am purchasing 4 perlick SS faucets. now i have to figure out what shanks i want. if someone can help with a few questions.

1.) Stainless or brass or chrome? does it really matter for the cost?

2.) Length? Does size really matter? Is to long a problem?

Mounting this to a fridge, my i'm concerned about length of tap handles. If i put a nice 12" tap handle will it hit the fridge? if so i was thinking of making a nice wooden faceplate like a 2x6 with some routered edges maybe some design. Then drill though the fridge and 2x6 and then mount it that way. But if the 12" hanle won't be a problem. I might ditch this idea.

So my thoughts were get a longer one and then the access would be out of the way anyhow. If i do get a 4" and only need say 2" will that be a problem?

THanks alot for any input!

I've got stainless... I doubt you'll see them inside the fridge, so chrome would be a waste imho. As for the length, that depends on where you plan to mount the taps. If you're mounting in the side, you can probably get away with 4-5". If you're mounting in the door (unelss you want to cut through shevling) you may need a little longer. That decorative wood plate you mentioned would also require a longer shank. ... You should probably just measure the door/wall where you plan to mount the tap and add a half inch or so for comfort.

As for the 12" handle, it will most likely hit if the taps are against the fridge directly. If the faucets are mounted further away (like if you have some sort of decorative plate) they may not. So, there's a couple options.. either go with a shorter handle that won't hit, or get a tap handle angler.

Thanks, I will get the longer shanks. I plan to mount out of the side. I will put the decorative plate on there and if i have some issues then i'll get the anglers. They are a bit pricey. I can get the wood for free.

The SS shanks cost more, the chrome ones are cheaper. i just didn't want bubbles coming from going from SS corney, to chrome nipple, to plastic line, to chrome shank to SS faucet. man alot of parts!

Thanks again!

I'd stick with Stainless Shanks with Stainless faucets...

You'll never have to worry about leaching lead from the brass shanks as the chrome wears off.

That said... a lot of people have chrome plated brass...me included.

I'd get a shank long enough to go through the material...and stick out just enough to make it easy to attach the hose fittings. If you go really really long...you run the risk of reducing the interior space for your kegs, or getting the rigging (hoses) tangled up.

I don't have a wood spacer...and don't have a problem with Tap handles hitting. I do have my faucets mounted just low enough that the freezer door clears when I use the standard black plastic tap pulls...but I have to open my fridge door before the freezer door with my decorative tap handles.

Latest posts

Back