3 Free Kegs!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
WOOOOHOOO!!! YUS!!! My buddy drinks alot of beer at a bar downtown. In doing so he has developed a relationship with the bartender. He brings the bartender a homebrew, bartender buys him a beer. He has been doing this for a few months now. One day the bartender asked him if he had any use for some old pepsi kegs. Of course, my buddy replied. Come back tomorrow says the barkeep. Today he brings his homebrew in and plops it on the bar and the bartender says hey, what do you drive? A van he replies. Ahhh, GREAT! Pull it around back, we'll drink in a bit. He pulls the van around back and the bartender greets him with a big smile.... in front of a stack of 15 PEPSI KEGS!!!! FREE!!!! My buddy gave me 3 just for brewing beer with him.:rockin: :rockin: OMG!!!! I am so stoked!!!! So now I have 3 Kegs awaiting brew to be so lovingly received. I just got a keg set up from a friend (co2 tank and regulator, sanky keg(woohoo keggle time!) and the adaptor for the keg, the lines and a tap that is just begging for a fridge to call its home). I think all I need (other than a fridge) is 2 cornelius keg ball joint connectors and I am in business. Think I'll cut that old sanky keg connector off and put it in a shoe box just in case for some reason someone needs one I have one on hand. I keep seeing free fridges on craiglist, think I'll pick one of them up and cross my fingers it works. Anyone have any tips on cleaning out an old keg setup? Should I just run a new beer line? How does someone with big arms clean out a old 5 gal corny keg? Will I need to get a brush to clean out the out line inside the keg? Will beer line cleaner work? What would a good recepie for my first keg batch be? I like hoppy, maybe not too bitter hoppy, more Mac Ale hoppy, or Broken Halo hoppy. Man i'm so stoked!! I'm gonna stop typing now and grab a beer to celebrate!:mug: and one more rockin for the road... :::> :rockin: <:::

He shoots, he scores! nice job.

soak it in caustic for a couple days, that should clean it out, then be certain to rinse it really well.

Grimsawyer said:
Should I just run a new beer line?
Yes!
Grimsawyer said:
How does someone with big arms clean out a old 5 gal corny keg?
PBW and a toilet brush (unused toilet brush). A good soak will do the majority of the work for you but I like to scrub mine as well.
Grimsawyer said:
Will beer line cleaner work?
I use this for my beer lines but since the origin of your lines are unknown (guessing from reading your post), I would replace them with new lines. BLC will not clean out the corny's as good as the PBW soak will.

Grats on the score :mug:

I strongly recommend getting kits and replacing all the o-rings, as they tend to retain soda flavors. My freind Tom is constantly getting free brewing stuff, not me though.

i've found the best way to clean a corny...go to the local car wash with the high pressure sprayer...dump in about a 1/4 cup of tsp...fill that sucker up. it will foam the crap out of it when you stick the nozzle in but it works great..and wait for a few minutes...then spray away untill it comes out clear...all you have to do is sanatise after that..a quick slosh and it's ready to use...btw i use bleach and have allways used it...never a problem all i do is make sure i rinse it good...it's stainless..not like it's gonna retain the bleach...

tri sodium phosphate...it's a heavy duty cleaner..any hardware store sells it...good stuff..usually in the paint section...it's kind of like the laundry detergent from hell!!

It is befuddling how many people like my little hobby. So I was talking to some people at work about my new keg setup crap(by crap I really mean KICK @$$ new toys!!! I LOVE MY TOYS!!!) And one of them piped up and asked if I wanted a fridge. DUHHHH!!!! I had to come get it, move it and clean it. WOW! they weren't kidding, heheh, it needed a good cleaning.... BUT I HAVE A BEER FRIDGE!!!!:ban: gonna make them a batch of Hefewizen. That's for sure. They also are coming over for the first-batch-of-homebrew-in-a-keg-on-tap party. I don't expect that batch to last long, hehehe. It's kinda funny, everyone is supportive of my hobby except for my woman. She hates it. Oh well, ya win some ya lose some, hehehe. :D

Back