Sparge Calculator...some things I don't understand about it. Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a thread awhile ago and should have asked there but forgot. Here is the sparge calculator i am using http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/sparge.html I don't understand the catagory called "Wort lost to dead space" and the "desired kettle volume". I have a 7 gallon boiling kettle and lets just say my OG is 1.034 and i am using 9 gallons for a test run. Thanks guys. recpe volume is 5 gallons

Dead space is the amount of wort that will not drain from the mash tun through the bulkhead because the bulkhead may be a little higher off the bottom. You can test this by putting some water in with no grain and opening the drain. Let it drain out, then carefully pour out any water left behind and measure it.

Desired kettle volume should be about 1.5 more than your finished batch size because you'll lose about that much to evaporation. So, enter 6.5 gallons.

Dead space is the amount of wort that will not drain from the mash tun through the bulkhead because the bulkhead may be a little higher off the bottom. You can test this by putting some water in with no grain and opening the drain. Let it drain out, then carefully pour out any water left behind and measure it.

Desired kettle volume should be about 1.5 more than your finished batch size because you'll lose about that much to evaporation. So, enter 6.5 gallons.

aight thanks a lot...the recipe says i need 6.6 gallons of wort to collect

Back