Wind. Freaking Wind!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xamers

Reaction score
So, I recently moved to Omaha, NE. Seems we have ALOT of wind here, so much that my flame blew out 3 times before I set up a pathetic wind screen built from drywall I had sitting around. Needless to say, the entire brew day was screwed because of the wind.

Bringing water up to temps took twice as long; getting the wort to boil took 40 minutes (usually takes much less).

So, in effect, it took twice as long to brew, I used more than twice the about of propane (I'm guessing), AND I had to sit there the whole time and make sure my pathetic wind screen didn't fall down and blow into the flame.

Amazing, I moved from the south, where we rarely had noticeable wind, to here, and my whole brewing days must be planned around wind.

Freaking wind!

Vent over.:cross:

So, I recently moved to Omaha, NE. Seems we have ALOT of wind here, so much that my flame blew out 3 times before I set up a pathetic wind screen built from drywall I had sitting around. Needless to say, the entire brew day was screwed because of the wind.

Bringing water up to temps took twice as long; getting the wort to boil took 40 minutes (usually takes much less).

So, in effect, it took twice as long to brew, I used more than twice the about of propane (I'm guessing), AND I had to sit there the whole time and make sure my pathetic wind screen didn't fall down and blow into the flame.

Amazing, I moved from the south, where we rarely had noticeable wind, to here, and my whole brewing days must be planned around wind.

Freaking wind!

Vent over.:cross:

I'm in Des Moines, 3 hours east of you... If its any consulation, the last few days have been unusually windy. If you happen to be on a hill top it might be a thing where you have to design something for your brew day. Like an anchored wall. Using cable & stakes. You might make something more permanent like using curved retaining blocks. Building a circular wall around the brew kettle burner...

See this... http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17710/

I would use the smallest block you can get your hands on so the diameter isn't to big. Either that just make a curved wall for the wind direction if its consistently whipping from one direction.

Even better make a brewing/smoker pit!!! - I'd love to do this...:rockin:

Hi, welcome to Omaha. More windy days than Chicago.

Be sure to check out the Liquid Arts homebrew contest/festival at Hot Shops art gallery (1301 Nicholas Street, Omaha) the First Saturday of July (the 5th). Many of the local homebrewers will be there and there is a lot of sampling, Last year you could buy a hand blown sampling glass hand made by the organizer who is a homebrewer and glass blower.

Oh, and welcome to Omaha.

you learn to live with the wind in this state, i have lived here most of my life.

i do most of my brewing in the garage or in the house on the stove.

we hade 70+ mph winds here last week, blew my grill over and broke a door off.

Yep. This wind sucks all right. Losing shingles off my roof on a daily basis.

Welcome to eastern Nebraska, I guess. :)

Have you gone to an OmaHops meeting yet?

cinder blocks are cheap and can make a wall really quickly.

Back