yeast for a high gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjsweeney

Reaction score
im planning a IPA with a OG of 1.120 and the FG to 1.030. i have WLP001 yeast and i want to no if i can just add two WLP001 or wine yeast to get the FG.

Thats 12% ABV, and the WLP001 will die at 10%. Wine yeast would certaintly work, but you might not like the flavor. I'd suggest the WLP099. Its an ale yeast designed for high alchohol levels.

nick

HP_Lovecraft said:
Thats 12% ABV, and the WLP001 will die at 10%. Wine yeast would certaintly work, but you might not like the flavor. I'd suggest the WLP099. Its an ale yeast designed for high alchohol levels.

nick

White Labs WLP001 is great for high gravity beers, I have made several successful beers in the 10+% with this strain. Its clean and leaves little to no off tastes you might find with other strains. I would just recomend making a starter a few days ahead of time, don't waste your money on two packets!

Here is the profile off the web site:

WLP001 California Ale Yeast
This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High
Review this strain
Read other reviews for WLP001
Read FAQ for this yeast
Listen to audio from Chris White about WLP001

Cooper321 said:
White Labs WLP001 is great for high gravity beers, I have made several successful beers in the 10+% with this strain.

I do agree its a great all purpose yeast. I have an English Old ale in the basement using WLP001, and its very tasty.

The White Labs website says it has a tolerance of 10-15% ABV. It might work great for a 13% ABV brew. But with the commitment of time, and expense, why take the risk?

However, the White Labs website says you can also start with the WLP001, and if it hits a wall, you can finish with the WLP099 to reach final gravity (and also be able to carbonate).

nick

I agree with HP_Lovecraft; make a huge starter, aerate the wort extremely well, use yeast nutrient, and go with 001. Let that go until it stops (hopefully at the end of fermentation). If it stops early, pitch the big yeast to finish it off. I have done this successfully with Wyeast products, so it can't be that much different.

The Wyeast 1056 is essentially the same as the WLP001, and I used that to make my barleywine. Make a huge starter, or pitch onto a yeast cake, that works even better.

i wish this thread had been around two weeks ago when i accidentally made an ipa into an IIPA (with only 55IBUs, so maybe its more of a barleywine).

Latest posts

Back