Apfelwein and Cote des blanc yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
I know this has popped up before but the search turns up an awful lot of threads.

In the past I've done Ed's Apfelwein and felt like making a slight variant.

I used
5 gallons of Juice
1 lb of Dextrose (8.5% is a bit high for a quick refresher)
Cote des blanc yeast
Yeast energizer

OG 1.060

Within 12 hours it had a slow fermentation going. I then left for 4 days and when I came back it was still bubbling at a rate of maybe 1 every 5 minutes. This slowed to a complete stop somewhere around day 12. I check the gravity and it was 1.020.

There had been zero bubbling through the airlock since then. I even put vaseline around the airlock to ensure no leaking. Today the grav is 1.004. I've never seen leaking from around the lid seal but I suppose it's possible. I would think air would go out the airlock first.

Do you think the CO2 leaked around the lid seal as opposed to the airlock?

What is the time course for Cote des blanc? I thought it was slow but I'm down near full fermentation at 18 days. It's not even that cloudy. In contrast the Montrachet yeast bubbled vigorously for 6 weeks.

I have used Cote and didn't notice much of a difference. the air lock did seem a bit slower, but really didn't pay that much attention. Trust your hydrometer and you will be fine. I gave our batch 4 weeks then kegged.

Back