Used my fermentation buckets to clean a car.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHBrewer

Reaction score
I needed to send a car to the auction the other day so the night before I decided to detail it before it went through. I got to the part when I was giving the outside a bath and found out that the only buckets I had for soapy water was my fermentation buckets. Feeling rushed and it being late after work I decided to use them.

Will an oxyclean bath make them okay to put brew in again or am I SOL?

Personally I would never use them for making beer ever again, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that would..

There not that expensive and it's something i can easily replace. But I was just wondering of they wee salvageable.

PGHBrewer said:
There not that expensive and it's something i can easily replace. But I was just wondering of they wee salvageable.

I would use it but I'm cheap. I once was unsure of whether my bucket was sanitary and I don't think star San really works 100%. So that's when I asked myself what would..... Then I baked it in my oven at 210 for an hour. That did the trick

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Let it soak with some Oxy for a few hours and rinse it out real good, then repeat, then let it soak with some Star San and it should be fine. For future reference, regular buckets at Home Depot and Lowes are less than 2 bucks. Might want to grab a couple of those for normal household stuff.

ktblunden said:
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Let it soak with some Oxy for a few hours and rinse it out real good, then repeat, then let it soak with some Star San and it should be fine. For future reference, regular buckets at Home Depot and Lowes are less than 2 bucks. Might want to grab a couple of those for normal household stuff.

That's what my plan was. I had other buckets at the house but recently used them for painting.

Depends, if you only had soapy water in them, I would wash out really well and reuse.

However, if oil, crap on the tires, tire cleaner, wax, etc got in there then I would not reuse.

Who knows what nasty chemical might bind to the plastic.

I would say, hello new car-cleaning bucket.

buffalobrewer said:
the question isn't can you use them again, the question is what the heck are you doing with empty fermentation buckets????:confused:

I know right! I have been saving up to go all grain so I have been putting all my time and money into getting everything ready. Next brew day should be soon!

I'm seeing some definite posibilities here
Bug Juice Bitter
Pot Hole Portter
Tar splatter Triple
Muddy Mess Maibock...
oh yeah......:mug:

I wouldn't use them, but only because you defiled them. Its sacrilegious to put them to such a lowly task. Do your penance and pray to the god of fermentation for salvation.

Back