Which bittering hops should I use? Recipe advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartcraftbeer

Reaction score
OK, so I brewed an all-Cascade rye pale ale and was pleased with the result, but I think it would benefit from a different bittering hop profile. I have the following on hand and would like to use some combination of them so I don't have to buy any.

a. Nugget (1/2 oz)
b. Sorachi Ace (1/2 oz)
c. Mt Hood (1/2 oz)
d. Warrior (1/2 oz)

Based on the original recipe below, what combination would you use, and at what interval(s)?

6 lbs Briess DME Golden Light
2 lbs Flaked Rye
1 lbs American Two-row Pale
.5 lbs Crystal 10L
.5 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine

60 mins 3.75 oz Cascade
15 mins 1.0 oz Cascade
1 min 1.0 oz Cascade
dry hop 7 days 2.0 oz Cascade

Cheers,
JB

What did you dislike about the Cascade ? I know I get a harsh, brash bitterness from it when used as the bittering charge, so I would use nugget or warrior there.

warrior for the 60 min bittering addition and nugget at 15,10,5,dry hop. sorachi, and mount hood are not used often in hoppy american pale ales and IPA's. Warrior works well as a 60 min addition I'm not a big fan of nugget but its the best choice of what you have listed.

I was leaning toward the Nugget and Warrior as well. What about combining the two at the 60 minute mark? Is a half ounce at 60 mins really enough of a bittering addition for this recipe?

And to jfr111, it wasn't that I disliked the Cascade for bittering necessarily. In face, SWMBO really likes it as-is and will probably get mad at me for tinkering with the recipe. But I just feel like it could benefit from a true bittering hop.

I find that for me the bittering hop is the least important part of my brewing recipe. Cascade works great in Mirror Pond, so I have no problem using it for bittering. Obviously you have to consider AA% and hop matter in the BK. I now use CTZ extract for all bittering - a joy to use.

Back