Hopped Wheat Brew - Too Much Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time posting, first time brewing, well tonight anyways!

I'm doing a Partial grain extract brew, a clone of Gumball Head (Hoppy Wheat Ale).

The recipe calls for 1oz Amaretto at boil, 1oz at 30 min, 1oz at 55 min, and 1oz dry hopped in secondary.

I've already changed the last two Amaretto for Cascade, as I love the sharper grapefruit like aroma and flavour of Cascade.

My question is, should I reduce any of the hops to 1/2 oz? I personally like a hoppy beer, but friends and family may not. I was considering dropping the 1oz amaretto 30 min flavouring hops to 1/2 oz, but I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make.

Any suggestions?

PS - As I mentioned this was my first time, I just finished boiling 2.5 gallons to cool and leave in my already sanitized bottling bucket so that when I need cool water to mix with the boiled wort, it's ready to go. However now that the water is cooling (still in my brew pot) I can see little oily stuff on top of the water, with some small floating particulates. Should I be concerned about that? Can I just filter it through a sanitized J-cloth when I move the water into my bottling bucket?

I can't wait to have this first session under my belt, I'm sure I'll have a lot less anxiety next time.

Depends on what you're trying to hit in terms of a hop presence as well as utilization you'll get out of the hops (are they whole leaf or pellets? What's the wort's SG you're shooting for? Are your boils really vigorous? All these things will play into how far your hops will go).

What I find helps me is to think about hops as one element to the beer's character by first figuring out what Bitterness Unit to Gravity Unit ratio will give me the finished balance I want (Ray Daniels' book Designing Great Beers is a good resource for getting ideas on this sort of thing). For example, American IPAs might have a 1:1 ratio -- so an IPA that has an OG of 1.070 (70 gravity points) and an estimated 70 IBUs would have that 1:1 ratio. From there I like to break it down into the additions that I'll make. First I calculate flavor/aroma hops contribution to that target IBU number, then fill the remainder up with the bittering IBUs. Keep in mind that some hops can contribute a pronounced flavor even when added as bittering hops (Chinook, for example). Just do some research and give it a little thought as to how you want the hop character to take shape.

I'd recommend picking up the book I mentioned before as well as Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. Both are good reads. Let us know how it goes for ya!

Thanks for the insight! I'm going to look up Designing Great Beers.. Sounds interesting.

Any suggestion regarding my boiled water and the oil sheen/sediment?

PS - As I mentioned this was my first time, I just finished boiling 2.5 gallons to cool and leave in my already sanitized bottling bucket so that when I need cool water to mix with the boiled wort, it's ready to go. However now that the water is cooling (still in my brew pot) I can see little oily stuff on top of the water, with some small floating particulates. Should I be concerned about that? Can I just filter it through a sanitized J-cloth when I move the water into my bottling bucket?

Latest posts

Back