Surly Abrasive IPA? Looking for a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
Any ideas on a grain bill, etc. I wasn't able to grab any on my last trip to Minnesota

Abrasive Ale, AKA 16 Grit, D.V.D.A.

We brewed this beer originally at the end of 2008 as a farewell to growler sales. As usual, we underestimated the demand for the first Double IPA in Minnesota. We brewed the beer again in the spring and released it as a draft only beer. It was originally called 16 Grit, a size of abrasive grit used at the old Abrasive factory that once stood where the brewery now resides.

STYLE: Double Oat IPA
MALT: Pale Ale, Golden Promise ,Oats
HOPS: CTZ bittering extract, Amarillo,Columbus
YEAST: English Ale

OG: 21° Plato
ABV: 9.7% v/v
COLOR: 8 ºSRM
IBU: 120

I'd also like a recipe. I had a can at DLD this year and was blown away. It tastes like pure mango!

Looks pretty simple, say:
60% Pale
35% Golden Promise
5% Oats

It is a pretty dry beer for all-malt, so I would mash low ~148-150. Aiming for an OG ~1.087

3 oz of Columbus to bitter @ 60 min
2-3 oz each Columbus and Amarillo at flame out and dry hop

Ferment with 001/1056, nice big starter.

Keep oxygen to a minimum after fermentation starts. FG ~1.014 (84% AA)

Hope that helps, should get you close.

anyone tried this recipe yet? i love this beer but $5/can is a little steep for me!

It's odd, the website makes it look like they are playing with the ingredients. Sounds like they've added a bit of crystal and some sugar (which is something Russian River does for their excellent IPAs) and changed the hopping.

STYLE: Double Oat IPA
MALT: 2-Row, Golden Promise, Oats, Lite Crystal
SUGAR:Brewers Crystals
HOPS: Warrior, Citra
YEAST: English Ale

OG: 19.5° Plato
ABV: 8.8% v/v
COLOR: 8 ºSRM
IBU: 120ish

Gravity works out to 1.081 to 1.014

I agree with Oldsocks recipe above, except I believe surly uses WLP007 for their house strain. One of things I have found with their beers, is that the recipes are often Odd, not quite what you think they should be.

Looking at the other Surly clone recipes, it seems like they do a few things with every recipe:

1. Use WLP007.
2. Use golden naked oats around 5-8%
3. Use first wort hops, probably 1oz for this recipe
4. Go with a large amount of flame out hops, probably 3-4oz for this beer.

Just my observations.

Eric

Looking at the other Surly clone recipes, it seems like they do a few things with every recipe:

1. Use WLP007.
2. Use golden naked oats around 5-8%
3. Use first wort hops, probably 1oz for this recipe
4. Go with a large amount of flame out hops, probably 3-4oz for this beer.

Just my observations.

Eric

i believe they use simpson's golden promise base malt on most/all of their beers too

Back