Bottled first wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just finished bottling and labeling my first wine and all seems to have gone well. Quite the learning experience to be sure. My next project will be beer, post Christmas. Not exactly sure what it'll be yet - I gave my friends & family a short list of possibilities so it'll be somewhat of a surprise. :D

I just wanted to extend my thanks to you all for this wealth of information, warm community and for the great advice I received to calm my fears & concerns.

Just signed up for a premium membership. I think I'm gonna be around for a while.

Many thanks, :mug:

Scott

Way to go, Crazy Joe! You'll have to let us know how it all turns out!

And welcome to HBT. Keep it going and you'll spring for the lifetime membership next year.

Cheers,
Michael

Don't forget to leave the bottles upright for the first 2-3 days before moving them onto their sides for longer-term storage. If your batch is going to start fermenting again in the bottles, it is much better to find out about that when the bottles are standing up compared with them laying down. Nothing worse than a batch of wine on your basement floor!

Welcome to the obsession! I started out as a winemaker, and I still consider myself more a winemaker than a brewer in many ways.

But beer really is my love. I love everything about it- the texture, aroma, mouthfeel, kegging it, etc. The hardest part is to try to maintain my weight with all that beer around!

Thanks folks,

Beer is my primary concern, but wine keeps the girlfriend at bay ;) - it certainly won't be my last batch tho, it was a good experience. Some things I'd have done differently in hind sight, but that's all part of learning :)

The bottles were upright for about 4 days and now they're on their sides in the basement, which is around 15 degrees C

Fermentation should be stopped - it was a kit wine and the stabilizer was added at about 2 weeks in - according to the instructions and SG reading. Hopefully, there'll be no unfortunate surprises

Should I make this kit again I think I'd leave it a while longer before stabilizing, it came out pretty sweet - while sweet was the desired result, it's sweeter than hoped for right out of the gate - I'm hoping it'll level out after it's been bottled for a little while. Time will tell.

I'm itching to get the beer started, but I must learn patience.

As far as complaints go Yooper - that's a nice one to have :mug:

Back