Rauchbier kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to say I have no idea what I'm going to do here. I won a Rauchbier Kit in a drawing this weekend and I'm not sure if this is for me. I've read about them a bit and they just do not sound awesome to me.

Anyone have any experience with these? I'd hate to miss out on a free brewing kit, but I think it would be better to give to someone who would actually enjoy the beer.

You could find a commercial rauchbier to try. If you have a retailer that important a lot of good beer, you might be able to find Aecht Schlenkerla. Try it to see if you like it before you brew.

Send it to me Homercidal! I will be more than happy to brew it up and send you some "live yeast culture samples"!

I'll think about both suggestions. If I don't like the taste of a commercial I'll send it to you Macabra. Let me ask another guy I know if he'd like it first though. He's currently laid off and wanting to start brewing. I'm trying to gather a few things to get him started.

There is noting like a rauchbier off the tap in late October, when the winds change, the nights are chilled, and you can smell the early signs of winter wafting from nearby fireplaces.

rauchbier is interesting to say the least. but yeah, if you don't like it, i'm sure someone on here will gladly brew it up.

There is noting like a rauchbier off the tap in late October, when the winds change, the nights are chilled, and you can smell the early signs of winter wafting from nearby fireplaces.

You, Sir, capture the essence of my favorite season quite well, but, as I've often said, my best days have always been cloudy, with a chance of rain. Lately, I find that I do enjoy a good serving of rauchbier, but suspect it is a drink best suited to the appropriate moment. :mug:

I'll think about both suggestions. If I don't like the taste of a commercial I'll send it to you Macabra. Let me ask another guy I know if he'd like it first though. He's currently laid off and wanting to start brewing. I'm trying to gather a few things to get him started.

Way cool Homercidal, let me know what you decide to do. Rauchbier is NOT for everyone, but it surely has its place in the Circle of Beer! :mug:

Heh. I just did a search for home roasting grains, because I don't want the peat smoked grain, and I think the standard is beechwood. I thought that I could do this better myself and it would be fresher and stronger, and I'm considering apple and a little hickory.

I had my first rauchbier last weekend (Aecht Schlenkerla Weizen), and I am totally hooked. I ordered some Weyermann smoked grain from BMW and will be brewing a batch this weekend to enjoy late in the Summer/early Fall.

The 2008 Alaskan Smoked Porter, by the way, is a severe disappointment compared to the Schlenkerla. The flavor just isn't there.

Yeah, I am not a fan of smoked porters. Just not the same as a good Rauchbier. I have had the Alaskan and I think a Rogue??? Can't remember...

That's exactly what I was thinking about brewing my own. I host a weekly BBQ in the backyard that usually ends with us sitting around the fire pit, and I think rauchbier will fit right in with that!

(And yes, I know that I am actually grilling, not BBQing, because I have a gas grill!)

Back