Hops Direct Service

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedigitale

Reaction score
I placed an order from hops direct the other day (the 15th), and noticed on the site that it says:

"We began the current harvest at the end of August and are in full production! While the crew and staff are running around the clock you may notice a slower turn around time on your orders. Be assured that we will put every effort to get your order out quickly but it may take slightly longer. Puterbaugh Farms wants your complete satisfaction."

I then received an email after placing the order that said:

"Please allow 1-2 business days for our warehouse to pack and ship your order."

As well as:

"The shipping will be calculated the following business day, due to the fact
that we have a variety of methods available."

I have not heard anything from them since, and while I understand that it may take an extra day or two to ship, I find it disturbing that I haven't even received a shipping quote that was supposed to be calculated the next day.

Has anyone else experienced this lately? I'm seriously tempted to cancel my order, as I don't want to be surprised to by an unreasonable shipping charge when they decide to get my order together. I ordered 5lbs of hops and was not giving a shipping option, have heard nothing back in 4 days, and they're unreachable on the weekend.

They are an excellent business.

To put it bluntly, they are selling thier hops for 25% of any HBS... so you can get hops faster, if you like elsewhere.

Typically you can call to get a shipping quote if you pick up the phone, that is what I have always done. Thier shipping isnt crazy high, and considering the sale they are having, youd be hard pressed to get them cheaper anywhere else.

I understand your concern... but this has been running on another thread for a couple weeks. They are swamped because people are cheap, people are also impatient. They cannot accomodate both.

You should have called them prior to placing an order to request shipping. Or asked here on HBT. I got 50 pounds shipped to Indiana for $48

Plan to pay $1 per ounce, total, shipped, that is about what it is costing everyone across the country.

They are an excellent business.

To put it bluntly, they are selling thier hops for 25% of any HBS... so you can get hops faster, if you like elsewhere.

Typically you can call to get a shipping quote if you pick up the phone, that is what I have always done. Thier shipping isnt crazy high, and considering the sale they are having, youd be hard pressed to get them cheaper anywhere else.

I understand your concern... but this has been running on another thread for a couple weeks. They are swamped because people are cheap, people are also impatient. They cannot accomodate both.

You should have called them prior to placing an order to request shipping. Or asked here on HBT. I got 50 pounds shipped to Indiana for $48

Plan to pay $1 per ounce, total, shipped, that is about what it is costing everyone across the country.

I don't really feel like I'm being impatient when I'm told one day for a shipping quote and I've waited 4 days, and honestly, if I have to call a company before ordering online, it sort of defeats the purpose.

My concern isn't really about them being legit or not, my concern is that if I'm told 1-2 days, and I plan to brew a week and a half later, I shouldn't have to worry about it. I don't care if I have to pay a bit more if it means I can brew when I have the time to do so. I do care about being given a timeframe, making my plans accordingly, and being screwed.

Well, the email that you got was thier standard email... detailing the process BEFORE they were swamped.

The message on thier site tells you that you can expect a delay... obviously logic would dictate that the 1-2 days to ship an order in the email is not the delayed timeline.

The 1-2 days to ship and the shipping cost timeline was PRE sale. The message on the website was meant to address this. Simply a mis-understanding of the timeline, not a false timeline.

I've ordered from them half a dozen times and even though they say that you're gonna get a shipping quote, I've never gotten one. They just ship it. At first it bothered me a little bit, because they say they're gonna give you a quote, but after the first time, I just learned to live with it. Also, you learn over time pretty much what the per-pound shipping rate is going to be to your address, so there's no need for a quote. Me, I paid like $7 to ship 2 lbs from WA to VA.

So yeah, don't worry about the shipping quote. They won't send you one. They'll just ship it. No tracking #, no quote, just one day you'll come home and there'll be hops on your doorstep. Delicious, delicious hops. Hell, it's entirely possible that they're already in the mail as we speak.

Pol, does Puterbaugh Farms post on HBT? If so, what is their screen name? Thanks, and I agree...for the price that they're "giving away" hops at, we should all be patient.

Pol, does Puterbaugh Farms post on HBT? If so, what is their screen name? Thanks, and I agree...for the price that they're "giving away" hops at, we should all be patient.

No, they dont... I mean they are a hop farm and we are but a tiny speck on thier screen.

They are excellent people though and I have dealt with them pretty closely this year.

Typically it will take 5 business days to get your order to you across the country. Thier shipping is really reasonable when you consider what they are charging you.

$1 per ounce total cost, shipped to you, is to be expected. I know that a lot of people who have never bought from them in the past, are doing so now, and some are getting thier shorts in a bunch.

I like calling good suppliers that care about thier customers to talk shop. They were no exception... they were extremely helpful when I needed a real time shipping quote for our group buy.

I hate seeing great vendors getting cut up becuase they are offering a great sale and get swamped beyond belief. It happens here on HBT all the time.

We complain too much. RDWHAHB

If you buy 5 pounds of hops retail, you will pay at least $125-$150 just for the hops.

Puterbaugh is selling them for $80 shipped. To most that is worth it, to some it is not.

I have dealt with them twice placing 2 orders over the past 2 weeks. The first order I placed on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, September 6th. The order was processed on Tuesday or Wednesday (2 or 3 days later) and I received them on Wednesday, 9-16. I placed my second order on Monday 9-14, received shipment confirmation on Wednesday 9-16, and have no complaints at all.

I was lucky an got in on their sale early ( i got supping conf within 24 hours of ordering), I also had no porblem with their service or product.

However I do beleive that with the turn around times growing as long as they have, the company needs to infom their customers of this. I have seen many posts were the customer heard nothing for too many days, where they call and call to try and get info.

Is a deal this good worth waiting a few extra days, absolutely. however if customers are going to have to wait longer than normal times, they need to be informe of suhc,

I was lucky an got in on their sale early ( i got supping conf within 24 hours of ordering), I also had no porblem with their service or product.

However I do beleive that with the turn around times growing as long as they have, the company needs to infom their customers of this. I have seen many posts were the customer heard nothing for too many days, where they call and call to try and get info.

Is a deal this good worth waiting a few extra days, absolutely. however if customers are going to have to wait longer than normal times, they need to be informe of suhc,
Yea, I completely understand your points there. We expect a lot out of internet stores. However, consider this: they are farmers.

It has to be a weird business. You don't really have a lot to do except fill orders 11 months of the year. That one other month you have to harvest and process your crop that will provide for your family for the following year. I can imagine it would be stressful. Seems to me they would have dropped prices earlier in order to have all that out the door before you had to turn your attention to the harvest.

I mean, this is how most farmers work and all, but most farmers don't sell on the internet.

I mean, this is how most farmers work and all, but most farmers don't sell on the internet.
Imagine trying to make a living selling bulk hops locally. Smalltown prolly doesn't want much hops. Except for the deodorant purposes, of course, when they hit the local hoedown.

Reminds me of an old SNL skit: The Scotch Boutique" in which they only sold scotch tape. Had to be there.

They rock! Never did get a shipping quote but got my order fairly quick and the shipping was reasonable. Didn't know about that sale till this evening....guess who just ordered a couple more pounds of hops :)

Mine cost 10 bucks to ship 7 lbs to MN. Total price was $0.69/oz averaged over the 7 lbs. I got a shipping confirmation through UPS once it shipped. I think it took around 4-5 days for that shipping confirmation though.

Hell, who cares? At 69 cents per oz (shipped!), they can take an extra day or two!!!

i think there great. i just dont understand why they dont work out a flatrate shipping rate with ups or fedex for everyone. that or setup a shipping calculator on their website, they must have one at their office since they can give you the price with 2minutes when you call. it wouldent take much work to add it onto their website for customers to use before they order

Ok, so everyone seems to think it's perfectly acceptable for a vendor to lie to their customers.

They do have good prices, and I think that's great, but if I am told I'll get a shipping quote, then I expect one to be provided. If I receive an email telling me that they'll ship in 1-2 days, I expect them to do so.

If anyone wants to understand this better, try telling your boss you'll have something done in 2 days, and give it to them in a week. See how well it goes over.

You're all saying that they're a great vendor, but if what you're all telling me is true, it may be the last time I order from them. My time is as valuable as theirs, and as such, I expect them to meet the expectations they set.

If they have great prices and tell me that it will take a month to ship them, then I can plan accordingly. I'll order in advance. If I order ten days in advance and don't have them when I need them, then what good do they do me?

I hate seeing great vendors getting cut up becuase they are offering a great sale and get swamped beyond belief. It happens here on HBT all the time.

By the way, I wasn't "cutting up" anyone. I was asking if other people had similar experiences, and now am being told that they almost never live up to what they say.

Found them to be great to work with.

I Paypal'd my order. They sent me a bill that included shipping and after paying, a confirmation saying the date when it would be shipped.

Visa orders must operate different.

+ whatever on shipping costs - the prices are reasonable and don't look like they add anything on to UPS charges like some companies do. Give them a few extra days until they clear up the backlog from the mad rush we have hit them with.

I was a pretty happy Fresh Hops customer and I like to be loyal but HopsDirect prices are very hard to resist - resistance is futile! Somewhere along the line others will have to bring prices down or HopsDirect will become the only place to go for hops.

Ok, so everyone seems to think it's perfectly acceptable for a vendor to lie to their customers.

They didn't lie. You received an automated e-mail. I'm sure that at some point shipping quotes were sent and the text has not been removed from the website. If a shipping quote matters, call. If you're wondering when your order will actually ship - call.

I received a tracking number when my order shipped (a week after ordered). Shipping was less than quoted over the phone.

Or go pay $3/oz at your LHBS.

Precisely. If you can't wait, pay the premium. We are lucky they even bother to deal with such small orders.

ha ha they lied?

No, you got an automated email, and then neglected to take into consideration the message on thier site as an ammendment to the email.

Just a misunderstanding. I suggest you go buy hops for $4 an ounce.

By the way, I wasn't "cutting up" anyone. I was asking if other people had similar experiences, and now am being told that they almost never live up to what they say.

You are calling them liars...

When they clearly have a disclaimer on thier site.

Thier discalimer is an ammendment to the email you recieved.

Go buy your hops somewhere else then... no need to complain.

I'm paying roughly 11 bucks for my 4 lbs to get shipped to GA. Took one week for them to around to billing my credit card, still haven't received a shipping quote. But the 4 lbs i'm getting is going to be 48 bucks AFTER SHIPPING, so they can take as long as they want. If i purchased those somewhere else i'd be paying at least twice that much, if not 4 or 5 times.

I have ordered from them before. They are a great supplier. Normally 1-2 days is normal processing time. Their order confirmation is an automated email. Yes they probably could have changed the email to reflect their workload, but instead they put it on their site.

While it is a annoying they are taking a little longer then usual. They are busy, it happens to everyone. They will still ship you your hops. Do you really need your hops by a certain date. Is it going to effect your life that much if you don't get them when you wanted? If you really needed them sooner then pay more somewhere else. For the price I don't mind waiting. If your really annoyed them call them.

Also I paid $11 to have 6lbs shipped to Michigan.

The fact of the matter is you simply will not find better quality hops for a better price anywhere - period. Further to that, homebrewers are but a tiny percentage of their business - commercial breweries on contract get the lion's share of their production. UPS shipping is reasonable from WA to PA - my last 3 pound order cost right around $10 to ship.

I have received shipping quotes from them in the past and Carla is simply awesome to deal with. While the internet does make placing orders simple, I still enjoy speaking with someone on the phone.

YMMV, I suppose.

They do have good prices, and I think that's great, but if I am told I'll get a shipping quote, then I expect one to be provided. If I receive an email telling me that they'll ship in 1-2 days, I expect them to do so.

If anyone wants to understand this better, try telling your boss you'll have something done in 2 days, and give it to them in a week. See how well it goes over.

You're all saying that they're a great vendor, but if what you're all telling me is true, it may be the last time I order from them. My time is as valuable as theirs, and as such, I expect them to meet the expectations they set.

If they have great prices and tell me that it will take a month to ship them, then I can plan accordingly. I'll order in advance. If I order ten days in advance and don't have them when I need them, then what good do they do me?

Hopsdirect---
# Time in transit: At most, UPS Ground takes 7 business days to deliver. For specific time and cost, please feel free to call or E-mail us with your order weight & ZIP or postal code.

For daily shipments, we use UPS Ground shipping. If you have a preferred shipping method, simply call us or put a note in the comments box.

Help Desk

I guess some people can never be satisfied with great pricing and a vendor that is more then willing to work with its customers. :confused:

Me, I paid like $7 to ship 2 lbs from WA to VA.

So yeah, don't worry about the shipping quote. They won't send you one. They'll just ship it. No tracking #, no quote, just one day you'll come home and there'll be hops on your doorstep.

My shipping for two pounds was $13 to Kansas UPS and I got a tracking number. My only regret ordering from them was I didn't order more at those prices and I didn't use the tracking number to my advantage to make a starer so I could brew the day they came in.

I ordered on 9/8 and have received no shipping notice yet. I've emailed twice and talked to their answering service all three with no reply. I'm also concerned because my credit card has not even been charged yet.

You are calling them liars...

When they clearly have a disclaimer on thier site.

Thier discalimer is an ammendment to the email you recieved.

Go buy your hops somewhere else then... no need to complain.

First of all... show me where I called them a liar. I said that other people are telling me that they were lied to.

Second, email is a legal communication that has been upheld by courts, and so by if they do not send a shipping quote, then yes, they are lying.

While it is a annoying they are taking a little longer then usual. They are busy, it happens to everyone. They will still ship you your hops. Do you really need your hops by a certain date. Is it going to effect your life that much if you don't get them when you wanted?

Yes, I do need my hops by a certain date. The fact that they are busy doesn't take away from the fact that I am also busy, and can't always brew when they decide to get my hops here.

This thread wasn't meant to be a thread bashing hops direct. I was explaining what happened and asking what other people's experience was, so that I could determine what to do with my order to ensure that I would get my order when I needed it. While a few people actually answered the question, most of you decided that it was prudent to tell me to shut up and be patient, which does no one any good.

For those of you that think their prices make up for everything, I personally value my time, and have no problem paying a few dollars more to get something when I need it. That's why I started the thread, so I could determine if I should cancel my order and pay more elsewhere.

I have dealt with them twice placing 2 orders over the past 2 weeks. The first order I placed on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, September 6th. The order was processed on Tuesday or Wednesday (2 or 3 days later) and I received them on Wednesday, 9-16. I placed my second order on Monday 9-14, received shipment confirmation on Wednesday 9-16, and have no complaints at all.

Am I not allowed to complain either seeing that Brutus ordered 6 days after me, got shipping notification two days later and I still haven't received shipping notification 12 days later?

Not extremely helpful, but to get back to your original question...

I ordered 10# from HD on Saturday the 5th. I received a confirmation on Tuesday the 8th (Monday was Labor Day). I had my hops delivered on Weds. the 16th, so all told 11 days.

On the plus side, unlike some vendors that have been outed around here, HD has not charged your credit card.

Kind of s*x having your brew schedule messed up, but I guess just RDWHAHB.

Hope it works out for you...

I see no problem with people complaining. This is America right?

What you need to keep in mind is that this is a small family run farm. You are going to have quirks like delayed shipments etc. If it were me, and I needed my hops by a set time AND it was in the middle of their harvest, I would take my business elsewhere.

However, if I was not in a rush, they would have my business hands down. In fact, they are pretty much the only place I buy hops from.

I have been ordering from them for a while. I have had some issues from time to time but they have always been very good about making them right.

Considering how much overweight my past orders have been, I won't complain one bit.

I was surprised someone hadn't mentioned this earlier. When I ordered from them a few months back mine averaged 1.5oz. extra per package. I also recall reading in another thread where The Pol stating he had ordered 50lbs and his order was 4lbs. over. So yes they're busy, yes they're at a great price, and yes I agree with almost everyone else on here. Their statement on their web site explains everything. So RDWHAHB.

Am I not allowed to complain either seeing that Brutus ordered 6 days after me, got shipping notification two days later and I still haven't received shipping notification 12 days later?

Looks like there's more than one person who's dissatisfied.

I don't see any bitching, though. I see an honest few questions: Is it normal for me to not hear anything? Has this happened to anyone else? And when can I expect my hops?

Those are reasonable questions. Personally, I'd love to know what's precipitating the overly snarky reactions. Do you people have stock in this company, or what? Why do you sound so personally affronted because a vendor was merely questioned?

The guy wants to brew. He wants to know if he's going to be able to. You all should be able to understand that.

By the way, here's how a contract works:

Offer and acceptance, in this case, in writing. The vendor is offering it's wares by posting them on the site. The original poster accepted those wares by placing an order, yes, subject to the notice on the site that there may be something of a delay.

Any subsequent changes to the contract must be done, in writing (since the original contract was in writing). The confirmation email, whether drafted prior to the order, whether an automated email or not, is a subsequent communication. It therefore, under contract law, takes precedence over the notice on the site.

This vendor needs to learn a couple things:
(1) Edit your communications to accurately reflect your circumstances. This does not take much.
(2) If you want to run a good business, do not take advantage of your customers. Especially your new customers. Loyal customers are a wonderful thing, but you people will not live forever. You might not even keep brewing forever. A good, ongoing business needs a constant influx of new customers. Making them happy is key.

I know. I run TWO businesses, in two very different arenas.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the new low prices. I'll be placing an order tomorrow. Who cares how long they take to get here? I've ordered from them plenty. No worries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back