what did i do right 1st timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyusmc

Reaction score
Sat first home brew

i did a a five gallon full boil extract with two boil overs a lost of propane during 60 min boil and i pitched the yeast at 75 degrees.

First Hydro reading of 1.052 corrected receipe called for 1.060

so did i screw up?

Well you could have prevented the two boil-overs. From my little experience, the first one seems to come right at the beginning of your boil and then there is a potential second one when you add your first set of hops. I always just keep a tray of ice cubes ready to throw in and it will calm it down fast and adjust the heat accordingly.

Oh, I missed the hydro readings there. I started off with all grain, so I don't have any experience with partial or full extracts. However, that does seem to be quite off. What efficiency did the recipe call for?

I always have an oscillating fan near by to help cool the top of the boil. Blowing on it helps the boil over, plus you have to STIR STIR STIR STIR STIR STIR, and you will not experience a boil over.

OG readings can vary from recipes. I would imagine yours is off due to the boil overs or your efficiency was off a tad. I wouldn't worry. RDWHAHB!

here's the reicpe
A pale ale with steep grains, 2oz cascada, 1 0z Willamette hop flavor and 1 0z Willamette, liquid malt (8 lbs). i used hop bags for the pellets if it matters

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065 (but package says 1.060)
Estimated Alcohol Percentage: 6-7%
SRM (Color Range): 8.5
IBU's: 76.4
Safale S-04 (but came with safale S-05)

Oh yes I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum i think i'm hooked if this comes out good..

Hey i thought I just clean/santize everthing, throw the stuff in and stir the malt in. oh yeah I used a 30 quart pot knew it would be hard to contol boil over, I' like the ice cubes.

To fellow brewers:
i've been avoiding the truth on this first brew( 7 months old), about once a month i've opened a bottle and each time tasted like spoiled cider no carb. today notice a little carb little head and still bad taste. Is it time to say good bye and let this first brew RIP?

(thank god my second batch came out great.)

Did you get all of the extract in there? Maybe you had a significant amount stuck to the packaging or otherwise missing from the wort. The only other thing I can think of on the OG being so far off is that you used more water than you should have.

Did you get all of the extract in there? Maybe you had a significant amount stuck to the packaging or otherwise missing from the wort. The only other thing I can think of on the OG being so far off is that you used more water than you should have.

All extract used proably more water then needed, i had two boilovers inexperince (nobody mentioned stirring).

These bottles are in the frig what if i take them out for a week or two? or is it time to say goodbye.:confused:

Did you get a final gravity reading? I've brewed 5 extract batches so far, and they've all had an OG a bit off from the recipe. It comes down to how much water you use and how much boils off. If you do a partial boil and add the wort to your fermenter on top of additional water, it may not be well mixed when you pull out hydrometer sample. The more critical element is to ensure that fermentation finished up.

As for the current state of the beer, what was your carbonation process? I boil 3/4 cup of corn (or table) sugar in 1 pint of water. Cool that off to room temperature and put it in my bottling bucket. I rack my beer on top of it and then fill my bottles. Then I leave the bottles in a closet at room temperature for a minimum of 3 weeks. I think this is the standard process, but I ask because a friend of mine brewed a kit that said to fill the bottles and let them sit out for 2 days before putting them in the fridge. His beer never carbed well and had a pretty grassy taste to it. I had a heck of a time trying to convince him to pull all his bottles out of the fridge and to let them age for 3 weeks before cooling them again.

I keep all my bottles in a closet at room temperature until shortly before I plan to drink them. Even then I only move a few bottles into the fridge at a time. For both of the batches I've finished off so far, the last bottles were the best by far!

in january i was quick to put them in the frig. it was winter house was prety cold in the mid sixties had the bottles up high above pantry. so i think that is the big culprit . i took them out of the frig and waiting another three weeks. by labor day if taste dosen't change down the drain it goes.

Back